Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokey Tomatillo Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey Tomatillo Salsa

Howdy everyone!

Here's my Smokey Tomatillo Salsa recipe with some photos too. This salsa takes a few days to mature in the fridge. By the 4th day or so, the flavors really blend and the smoke pops in the best of ways.

Start with a pound or so of fresh tomatillos, peeled and washed, 1 or 2 limes, 1 or two Serrano peppers, and half a yellow or white onion. (The top sirloins were for later!) Will also need 1/2 bunch of cilantro and a medium avocado later. Total prep and cook time is about 1 hour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51341387_1058519101016341_799339808022331392_n.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	635510

Add some smoke. I used a small handful of mesquite chips on my coals at the beginning when the food was still cold from the fridge.

Name:	51272981_1058530264348558_6589400767541542912_n.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	635507
    To prevent stuff from falling through the grates I used these cool copper mats my wife got me for Christmas. Put the food directly over the coals. Grill until the tomatillos turn slightly translucent and dull green. Make sure you get some good grill marks on your limes, or they will overpower the other flavors later on.

Name:	51373692_1058536011014650_5117204279051943936_n.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	635509
    Squeeze the lime juice and discard the rinds, remove the stems and seeds from the peppers, and add everything to a blender, along with half a bunch of cilantro and a medium avocado. In my opinion, you don't really need to add salt if your chips have salt on them already. Makes a little more than 1 quart.

Name:	51783588_1058545414347043_5974913809318412288_n.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	635508

Awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing. This sounds killer!

Comment

I'll be trying this one! Thanks so much!

Comment

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

I make almost the exact same salsa (must be an Htown thing ) except I grill up the avocado halves as well. Makes a great salsa, thanks for posting !!!

Comment

Hmmmmmm

Comment

Stuff like this, you need to turn that trial member into club member, methinks.

Comment

Looks delicious.

Comment

I've been making a tomatillo-chicken recipe for years (got it off Simply Recipes, I'm pretty sure), it's excellent, but I'd bet it would be even better if I smoked the tomatillos. Next Time!

Comment

Looks good! Imma gonna try it!

Comment

I'm on board!

Comment

Awesome recipe! It has a great fresh flavor. We use it all the time. The only difference is that we use a poblano instead of the serranos.

Comment

Any garlic?

Comment

Gonna do a neighborhood party in June. Doing 3 different soft tacos - al pastor, smoked chuck and roasted chicken. Gonna serve it with this smokey tomatillo sauce. Thanks.

Comment

looks great think im gonna try this tonight, thanks for the pics and recipe!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here