Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple Ginger Pecan Recipe - Grade "B" Goose Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maple Ginger Pecan Recipe - Grade "B" Goose Chase

I'm planning on making Meathead's Maple Ginger Pecan recipe soon for some Christmas gifts. In the recipe he notes "I prefer the less expensive Grade B which has a stronger flavor." My wife let me know (enthusiastically I might add) that she can't find Grade B anywhere. I looked online and noticed a lot of maple syrup descriptions saying "Grade A Darker (former Grade B)", and it appears the grading system for maple syrups changed a while back and Grade B no longer exists. The most helpful web page I found was this one here. Just a heads up!

I think if you buy a higher quality over your usual grocery store selections you will be fine. Around here we have a lot of local producers that make maple syrup. I can check their labels and see what they say about grades. If you have a hard time finding something other than Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin let me know I can send you some locally produced stuff from Minnesota or Wisconsin that will be top shelf.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Frozen Smoke ! I actually just ordered something from amazon prime that got great reviews. If I understood the articles, the old grading system led to confusion and people thought the darker Grade B was lower quality than Grade A stuff. Vermont was very unhappy and led the charge for a new system. Now its all Grade A but with designations on the light/dark spectrum. Mostly prodding here for an update to the recipe so no one else gets yelled at.

I was raised on Log Cabin, so that's what tastes "right" on pancakes for me. However, I do have a bottle of (old) grade B in the refrigerator for cooking.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here RonB I doubt I’ll like the stuff I bought on my pancakes or waffles... but makes sense it may work well on Smoked nuts! 🤞🏻

Yep. I guess people would prefer to buy Grade A - Dark than Grade B. Better marketing. I ran into the same thing when I went to buy. I think the staff should update the recipe to the reflect the current grading system.

Comment

Go to the Dark Side, Luke!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully the Dark Side will be delivered to me soon via Amazon TIE Fighter! 😂

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here