Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Salsa

We’re going to likely have our first freeze tonight. I had the day off so I picked all the tomatoes and peppers from my wife’s garden (with her blessing of course) and tried my hand at smoked salsa. I followed Meathead’s grilled salsa recipie except I didn’t have enough room on my Weber for all the veg. I smoked them in the Smoke Vault for about 30 minutes on med-high without water figuring the tomatoes would make enough steam. I then brought them inside and roasted the tomatoes in the oven at 500 degrees for 40 min rotating the trays half way through. The skins fell off after they cooled. I had to drain the tomato water off to prevent the salsa from being watered down. I then blended it all in the food processor and caned it for future use. Sadly, two of the six jars broke in the water bath. I’ve never had that happen before and I was not happy. At least we still have four left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F3CCBD40-9934-47B3-8ADC-9889F161B5C8.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	576928

Name:	1FBD0D4F-2352-42C1-AB72-D2D3EA835F2F.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	576930

Name:	E25A6E76-E721-4902-B8FA-F68563066C4A.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	576931

Name:	520E5E60-4701-4D64-81BC-1BB71D54EBEB.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	576929

Smoked salsa is 👍!

Comment

Sounds like a summers delight on a cold winters night.😎

Comment

Thanks for the details! Sounds delicious. Sorry about the 2 jar casualties, and freezing temps!

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Man I'd pay money for some of that delicious looking concoction !! And oh by the way, it's going to be 93* here today, so sick of the heat by this time of the year. Could go for a little cold snap about now !!!

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Much the same here... "Fall, what is this fall you speak of? I vaguely understand winter but have no concept of fall."

Very nice! I smoked salsa on Sunday. I did remove the Roma tomato skins in a water bath, chop all the goodies (onion, garlic, jalapenos and cilantro). Chopped tomato with immersion blender then poured everything into a full size pan with an oven-safe pan liner. Smoked it for 5 hours on the Daniel Boone pellet grill with pecan pellets.

There is a purpose! I give pecan smoked salsa and chips away as samples at the Jack coming up in a couple of weeks. Right now I have 6 wide mouth quart jars canned and I need 12. This was left from Sunday's batch.

Name:	salsa.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	577051

Comment

Nice Bet that will taste awesome.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Not enough heat for me, but it's plenty smoky!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here