Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked nuts help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked out a single step version of this. For many nuts generally:

1. Wet only no soak, drain (note almonds seem fine without a soak).
    2. Apply ~1 Tablespoon of kosher salt/lb of nuts (to taste of course, you’ll have to do a round to get the salt level where you want it)
    3. Apply your non-salt seasonings.
    4. Smoke roast or oven roast at 300F for 40 minutes, but stir and mix every 10 minutes. Check after the first three 10 minute rounds.
    5. Sometimes you may need an additional 5-10 minutes. (Especially if larger, more moist, or if something like butter is included in step 3)

Almonds and pecans seem to work well at 40 minutes, cashews sometimes need the extra 5 minutes. Best way to tell is cook until there are just a couple burnt ones, then get them out of there and onto a sheet pan to cool (trash the couple burnt coal-mine canaries).

Gets them crispy to my to my liking anyway. Smoking at 225 works but requires additional cooking step to crisp them.

Comment

• Timmy12
      Timmy12 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's the higher temp that I was missing. Thanks.

Here is a Pecan recipe I got from Steven Raichlen's site. They are good. https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/smoked-pecans/

Comment

My method seems to be much different than everyone else's, but my results are usually pretty damn good. Especially my Dizzy Pig Curry-ish cashews.

I buy already roasted, low salted nuts. I toss 1 pound with 1tb of maple syrup and 2tb of selected rub and extra salt if needed. I spread them on Frogmats and cook on my Mak in smoke mode (185°) for about 75 minutes. I leave them out for about an hour after cooking... It helps the crunch come back.

Comment

Funny this post popped back up now. Just bought 10 lbs of raw pecan halves yesterday to get ready for this holiday season. Looking forward to getting them into the smoker.😋

Comment

So I have a kettle extra time tomorrow morning at work (weird, I know) and was gonna smoke some chicken. I’m thinking of adding some nuts.

Am I understanding that you mix all the nuts? I have about 20 types of nuts n seeds in total. Any "fonts" as far as ingredients??

We make candies nuts and granola all the time but not smoked nuts.

any suggestions?

Comment

I also have a related question -- where do y'all get your almonds, cashews and other nuts if you're wanting larger quantities for smoking? Surely not from the grocery store?

These folks grow their own pecans and I've bought from them for years now -- Green Valley Pecans near Tucson, Arizona, https://www.pecanstore.com/

(Answers rated PG, please -- I know you guys too well by now!)

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              I have bought from several of the online stores for years but discovered last year that the 2 lb bags of pecans halves at Sam’s Club were equal in quality and a lot cheaper than any I had gotten before. I also saw that they are carrying shelled Walnuts in 2 lb bags now and will have to try them.

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              I get 2 or 3 lb bags from Costco.

I buy pecans, walnuts, peanuts, almonds, and cashews at Sam's. I cold smoke nuts with the Blaz'n Smoker Pro (think Amaz'N tube) and I put them on Q-Matz in the smoker. I leave them in the smoke for 90 minutes, then transfer to a couple of sheet trays and put in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes. Then I put them on cooling racks and when they're room temp, into vacuum sealed bags. I suggest 2 weeks before tasting, 4 weeks or more and you will be rewarded for your wait if you can do it. I've got 2 batches going as I type this, using pecan blend pellets.

Comment

"...I suggest 2 weeks before tasting..."

Sounds a lot like cold smoked cheese -- big rewards for those with enough patience!

Thanks for the suggestions for Sams and Costco. The nearest Sams is 1 1/2 hours away and the nearest Costco is 2 hours for me, so I don't normally think about those stores to go to. But I need to go to the city where Sams is in the next few weeks, so I'll put nuts on the shopping list.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I seasoned 1 lb of mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans) with Malcolm Reed's mixture of Worcestershire, sugar, salt, and flavorings. I cold smoked the nuts for a couple of hours, along with cheese. Nuts were soft. I then roasted the nuts at 325 F for 15 minutes. That was a couple of minutes too long, so I'll try 10-12 mins. next time. The nuts are crispy good, just a bit more brown than I'd like. Malcolm's recipe: https://howtobbqright.com/2012/12/13...r-christmas-gi

Do not soak them. Spray with canola oil, sprinkle your favorite rub over them, mix thoroughly then smoke for 2 hours at 225f . Remove and immediately place in a sealable container to let cool. Once cool, about 1 hour, enjoy.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here