Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on making smoked salsa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on making smoked salsa?

Thought I would give this s a shot. My current plan is to roast and lightly smoke some tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, garlic, and limes. Then toss into a food processor, add some cilantro, salt, and cumin.

That’s what I do and it’s fan-freakin-tastic.

Comment

I love doing this, but with one variation, after getting some smoke flavor on the veggies, either throw under a broiler or use your mapp torch to char the skins. I'm talkin black....when all blended it turns out awesome

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to roast some hatch peppers first, then cook dinner, then smoke the veggies all on the same fire. So maybe the jalapenos will go on with the hatch chiles, and then on again with the other veggies.

My wife routinely roasts and chars her peppers and tomatillos for salsa verde and chili verde .... maybe I should smoke them, too

Comment

That’s the way I do it.

Comment

I did that exact recipe but I also threw a poblano pepper in the mix. Seared over lump coals on my egg for like 10-15 mins flipping often.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Randy-Phx
            Randy-Phx commented
            Editing a comment
            We use Poblano peppers too, but we substitute Serrano peppers for jalapeños.

Ready for the next step.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_192047.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	557334

Comment

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you add the lime halves to the food processor?

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            @cashelto no I just squeezed the juice into it.

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I'll be making a batch this weekend!

i smoke everythin, including the cilantro when i make salsa. Use smoked salt too.

Comment

We all need to get Matt Carpenter's salsa recipe from the STL Cardinals. Since he's been making and bringing his salsa in, the Cards have the best record in the National. I do know he does a long simmer, but that's all I know.

Comment

I like a mix of fresh and smoked. I made some a couple of weeks ago and it was a big hit. I smoked everything but the tomatoes - they are SO sweet this time of year. I didn't use a food processor - just a knife. After everything was chopped I added a little salt and vinegar, packaged it up and let it sit on the counter for 5 days. This step caused it to ferment and deepened the flavor. I then squeezed in some fresh lime juice and popped it into the 'fridge for a day. Then, we had at it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here