Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a good guacamole recipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good guacamole recipe.

Does anyone have a favorite guac recipe they'd care to share? My family and I love guac and I'm looking for one that's a little heavier on the lime (I know, just add more lime, right?). We had some guests over last night for pulled pork & pulled beef nachos, and one brought a homemade guac that has feta cheese in it, which was an excellent twist that I hadn't had before. Still seemed like it was missing something.

Looking for a recipe that isn't missing that 'something'. I'm thinking more lime and salt, but seeing your favorite recipes may point me in the right direction.

TIA!

Comment

This is delicious:
      Ingredients

• 1 Hass avocado (ripe)
      • 1 lime
      • 1/2 tomato (chopped in small pieces)
      • 1/4 onion (finely chopped) – or green onions
      • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
      • Jalapeno pieces (optional)
      • Salt and pepper (to taste)
      • Corn chips for serving
      Directions

1- The main ingredient in guacamole is of course avocados! Make sure you get a good avocado, I am using Hass avocados, they have a really good flavor. Also make sure that the avocado is soft (ripe).
      2- Cut the avocado in half. Scoop, using a spoon, the avocado meat and place it in a bowl.
      3- Using a fork smash the avocado. Depending on the consistency you are looking for, smash the avcado more for a soft guacamole, or less for a chunky guacamole.
      4- We need to add an acid element (which is citrus in this recipe) to the avocado so it does not turn brown. I am using lime (but you could use a lemon as well). Roll the lime on the table to make it soft before juicing it. If you like the guacamole to be more citrucy you can add 2 limes instead of 1.
      5- Add the lime juice to the avocado and mix.
      6- Add the rest of the ingredients: chopped tomato, finely choppe onion (or green onions), and finely chopped cilantro. Mix all the ingredients together.
      7- You can aslo add finely chopped jalapenos or any other hot peppers.
      Add black pepper and salt (to taste).
      8- Serve the guacamole with corn chips (or other types of chips).
      Bon appetit!

Comment

I make it pretty much the way DWCowles makes it with the addition of a couple extras; BUT, in one of the latest posts in the SUWYC spring addition I believe Ernest had a real good looking quac. I'm also sure HH will be all over this as well !!!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yours is pretty much spot on with mine but I have a few Mexican based spices my former wife (who was Tex-Mex) introduced me to, mostly cumin based.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Let’s call him out. HouseHomey Where art thou??

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Gee thanks guys. 🤔

I like the Diana Kennedy classic: http://mexicanfoodjournal.com/guacamole/

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. They say "no lime" though. I have to disagree. To me that's like no vinegar in a BBQ sauce, lol!

I use Alton Brown's. Sorry, no link. It's pretty basic but tasty.

Comment

Best Ive made is following the approach from Serious Eats where the onion, cilantro, lime and Serrano pepper are mashed into a paste in a mortar and pestle before being mixed with the avocado. And I find that avocado, like potatoes, need a lot more salt than you might expect, so be generous with that.

Comment

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            My coworkers from south of the border make it that way with the mortar and pestle but just do salt and one serrano per avocado and salt, best I have had

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry I prefer mine chunkie, I want the crunch of the veggies.

Fresh ripe avocados mashed with a whisk and left slightly chunky is how I make it. Salt is absolutely critical. I don't add cilantro although there's nothing wrong with that so long as there are no stems and it's finely chopped. I like to make a "deconstructed" guacamole with the mashed avocado spread out on the plate and the various counterparts in their respective piles around one side and two lime wedges flanking all that.

Probably best just to mix it all up though (Constructed). All depends on the occasion?

Diced Red Tomato
          Small Diced Yellow Onion
          Finely Diced Jalapeno Pepper
          Minced Fresh Garlic in Olive Oil
          Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
          Salt

Enjoy with fried flour tortilla chips (that's the kicker!)

Pack a jar with fresh, finely minced garlic and then fill it with EVOO and keep in the fridge. Use it everywhere to cook with and place a teaspoon or so in your guacamole! Game changer!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you.

This is an adjusted Alton Brown recipe. Not pattin myself on the back, but everybody who has eaten it, loves it. It is adjusted to more of a lime flavor coincidentally.
          * 3 lg avacados, * 1 to 2 limes (to taste), *1/2 tsp salt, *1/2 tsp grnd cumin, *1/2 tsp cayenne, 1/2 med. onion diced, 2 & 1/2 Romas seeded & diced, 1 tbsp chopped cilantro, 2 cloves garlic minced.
          Destructions: scoop avocado pulp in bowl & juice of one lime.Toss to coat. Using potato masher add salt, cumin, & cayenne & mash. The fold in onions, tomatos, cilantro, & garlic. Let sit for an hour so all the stuff can mix together & have a taste party. Add whatever amnt of lime as needed.
          Last edited by FireMan; March 23, 2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

Guacamole is just avocado, lime juice, and cilantro. When I feel fancy, I add finely diced onion and Serrano peppers. That's it.
          salt of course.

Comment

You need to let guac sit at room temp for at least 2 hours before using it.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know, thanks.

• lonnie mac
              lonnie mac commented
              Editing a comment
              Moonbeam's guac don't last ten minutes in this house!

Steve B well I guess I was busy with 800 Pieces of chicken and 30lbs of gnocchi and 5gallons of marinara. This EC on ice is making it worth it though. Back to business.

Im pretty much with DWCowles and EdF. But PKB and others are all correct too. Guac is like BBQ sauce and rubs. Regional and people are picky about their guac no matter the region. It's all preference.

i don't care for anything more than a smidge of garlic in mine. Example. PKB recipe I would use 1 clove at the most.

i don't like a lot of crunchy onion either. Crunchy guac es no bueno. I like some red and green onion in mine. Red onion in a molcajete like edfs recipe is best. I DO NOT EVER put cumin (favorite spice of mine) in guac.

so ask yourself how it will be used. For chips:

1. avocado (4 or 5 med to large)
            2. If you must have garlic. I clove or two of roasted garlic paste, if you must. (Added after onion and cilantro stems.)
            3. Red onion 1/2 small minced and crushed in molcajete (like EdF) until juiced/pasted
            4. green onion
            5. seeded and deveined jalapeno
            6. seeded and deveined Serrano
            7. Tender thin cilantro stems minced (crushed with onion)
            8. 2-3 Roma seeded (cut lengthwise into 1/4s and run your knife just above the flesh and remove the pulp, seeds and water. You only want the tomato flesh and skin) small diced
            9. a lot of lime
            10. cliantro
            11. boatload of salt
            12. white pepper.

its all really to taste. A couple of notes. Cilantro stems are amazing but can get stingy of your not carful. White pepper is great with guac, not the white part of the green onion just the green part. Use a blender or food processor if no mortar and pestle. Also, "eyeball it" and guessed at the amounts above. It's close though and very basic as mentioned above.

also remember you need to season the crud out of cold food. Room temp and warm food require less salt. So if your tasting something cold for salt, and that item will be serviced room temp or warm, finish the season then and not while itd cold. Vise Vera can apply too but most of should be done before it's cold.

i apologizes for the book length but one thing drives in another and vice versa.

heres what I like on tacos more as a sauce.

In a blender

1. Avocados 4 or 5
            2. Jalapeños and Serrano or just your favorite. (I like 4 jalapeño and 2 serranos but if you get lucky and get those really hot ones it's gonna be screaming)
            3. 4 whole green onions chopped
            4. 2 garlic heads ( should you need it)
            5. Cilantro, chopped (added last with tender stems and only buzzed about for a very short time as to not get stringy)
            6. S&up
            7 wheelbarrow of salt.
            8. Tons of lime

optional roasted tomatillos with onion and garlic

add all to blender with some water to get it going. When done add cilantro, taste and reseason if needed. Don't be afraid of the water. This should be medium thick and pourable from ladle or container.

There you have it. Remember all the other items are a supporting cast to the avocados and it's all preference.
            again I apologize if I went caddywhompass it's been a long day and I'm gassed.
            Last edited by HouseHomey; March 24, 2018, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee interesting observation, and great post, Homes. Maybe it depends on the food? Wine is one of those that locks up most flavors when cold, needs to warm up to get them all. I haven't made the same observations with fish, but I rarely have any left over!

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              That's common with "Fried" foods. You drop the salt and what does not fall off takes a while to penetrate. Next day it's all absorbed as well as what was there to start. Your food should be well seasoned befor you fry. Season any protein, wash and coating before cooking.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              West coast quac, you’re right it’s a regional thing. Tex-mex totally different. Guess we can all agree to disagree, to be honest I don’t see a huge difference in most of what I’ve seen in any of these recipes anyway.

I had bacon in my guacamole once. Unreal! Try it!!

Comment

I also use bacon in mine. Some finely chopped bacon and some diced smoked or charred poblano peppers make a really nice combo. I also use garlic and cilantro in mine. It's been raved over by friends, and it doesn't last long, so who knows? YMMV.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Poblanos.... run with it brother!!!

I like lottsa lime too! I also think it helps preserve quac if out at room temp or there is any left (rare). We squeee a few lime slices on any leftover and cover with smooshed saran wrap cover, no air allowed!

It’s nice to have all these recipies, I usually just throw in whatever looks good in the fridge.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here