Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chex Mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what I use. I bake in the oven. Haven't tried smoking it. I double the original amount of Worcestershire to get more of a kick.

Chex Mix

Makes about 12 cups

6 tablespoons butter
    5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    3 cups Corn Chex cereal
    3 cups Rice Chex cereal
    3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
    1 cup mixed nuts
    1 cup bite-size pretzels
    1 cup bagel chips

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. In an ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in the oven. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir in chex cereals, mixed nuts, pretzels, and bagel chips until coated. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels until cooled. Store in an airtight container.

Note: I have also combined all the liquid and spices in a sauce pan and heated on the stove. Then pour over the chex/nuts/bagels etc., in a brown grocery bag and shake lightly to coat all items. Then spread on a baking sheet and cook as above.

Comment

You should try buying the regular Chex cereal box in all 3 flavors (Corn, Rice, Wheat) instead of the pre mix stuff.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        How many cups of cereal does a box hold?

• dshaffes
        dshaffes commented
        Editing a comment
        I've made 2 batches since Thanksgiving and have used 6 cups of each box. I just looked and probably have another 3 cups left in each for a total of 9 cups.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you.

I am making up two batches today, for some ice fishing tomorrow. Great snack to have in the Clam.

Comment

Since mellowing out for a few days, my first batch turned out to be pretty good. I also added in about half of the smoked mixed nuts I made at the same time. It's still not as awesome as stuff I've had in the past, but it's better than it was last week.

I've used the regular cereal in the past. There's just so much left. BUT... the good part is that I can leave out the rice chex, which I'm not a fan of. I think I may try again, but use cheerios instead of rice chex.

Your recipe uses a LOT more Worcestershire sauce than I used. That's definitely going to get a boost.

I like the idea of melting the butter in the roasting pan, instead of pouring it over the top... I think it'll distribute everything a lot more evenly.

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, we like the stronger flavor profile from more Worcestershire.

I use a big metal bowl but the dry ingredients in it. Then I pour the liquid over the top, mixing it as I do with one hand covered in a latex glove. Once all the liquid is in, I continue to stir/mix with the one hand until the coating is pretty evenly distributed. At that point, I pour into pans for baking in the oven.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Crush it and use it to bread with. Corn for fish, rice for shrimp.

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          What do you coat it with? Egg? Butter?

Well, the Chex section of the cereal isle had been completely ravaged and ALL the unflavored Chex cereal slots were empty. All that were left were cinnamon, blueberry, and other sweet flavors of Chex... so I once again had to settle for the bags of packaged mix. I got some more mixed nuts from the bulk bins and some more dry roast peanuts, and some cheerios. I forgot to get pretzel sticks, so I'll probably make another stop on my way home tonight. I believe I'll smoke the nuts tonight, let them mellow for a day or so, then do the Chex Mix Friday (first day of vacation.)

I think I'll go heavy on the Old Bay seasoning on the Cheerios and the nuts, since the packaged Chex Mix is already salted, I'll skip adding Old Bay to the whole mix, but will add some extra of the other spices in Old Bay - paprika, celery seed, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder.

AND an obscene amount of worchestershire sauce.

I'll get it correct before my vacation is over and have a perfected recipe for next year.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a similar experience. The only plain Chex were in the gigantic boxes. I'll be interested to see how your experiment with the packaged mix turns out.

Try this with odd crackers, tiny saltines, cheese-its, wheat thins, oyster crackers. A friend gave me her mix and it is wonderful! She does it the seasoned saltines way. Zipper bag, stuff in, pour oil and seasonings over crackers and shake. No bake.

Comment

The second attempt went much better. Unfortunately, I didn't measure anything, I just did everything by instinct - so I can't relay my recipe here. It was a fair hit at family dinner, and I made so much I'm still working on it.

- didn't use any jalapeno or hot and spicy chex mix, only regular and cheddar.
          - added Cheez-its, and it was good.
          - I know I bought dry roasted peanuts, but I somehow made it home without them. This isn't the first time I have made it home missing an item from this grocery store.
          - put in healthy doses of onion powder, garlic powder, and a small amount of chili powder, a smaller amount of cumin, celery seed, dry mustard, and a still smaller amount of cayenne pepper.

- put in about half again as much Worcestershire sauce as I initially thought it needed. Then I put in more. I wound up with about double what one would consider the "standard" amount.

- for the cheerios, I first tossed them in some butter, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and old bay and roasted them for about 15 minutes, then added them to the mix of all the other stuff and roasted that all together for an hour at 250.

- I used good Snyder's pretzel sticks instead of Rold Gold. I think this was a proper choice.

A couple other things I learned for next time:

I can't stand brazil nuts and I don't care for hazelnuts. I'd prefer peanuts to those dirt-tasting monstrosities. The "deluxe" mixed nuts in the bulk bins at my local store are at least 50% hazelnuts and brazil nuts. So next time, I'll just get some cashews, almonds, pecans, and peanuts separately and mix 'em and smoke 'em like that.

Also, a higher nut-to-mix ratio would be better. This would have happened if I had made it home with my dry roasted peanuts.

I'll make sure to get the regular cereal next time. The packaged mix is easier, but not significantly so, and the control over flavors and amount of salt is more important. Also, I don't like the little cracker bars that come in the packaged mix. I may try sesame sticks next time. One of my favorite snacks is to get mixed nuts and sesame sticks from the bulk bins and mix them together.

Smoking the nuts definitely adds a nice element, but I definitely wouldn't smoke the whole mix.

Comment

Spicy rice crackers (Japanese) are also good as a Chex Mix add-in.

Comment

3 boxes of different Cheese-its, a box of mini Club crackers, a pound of honey roasted peanuts, made 3 gallons of pretty tasty no-cook mix! Fill a gallon bag with a zipper about half way with mixed crackers. Add 1/2 cup of oil (I used EVOO) 1 tablespoon Ranch dressing mix (I like Penzeys), and a hearty sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Seal the bag and mix it up by shaking it. Don't eat any until the next day.

Did one bag with Lemon olive oil. That's really tasty!

Comment

• Buck Flicks
                Buck Flicks commented
                Editing a comment
                I used to have a co-worker who did that with saltines but baked them for a brief time just to speed up the process a bit. They were surprisingly tasty. Probably a lot better with better crackers.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here