Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chex Mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Buck Flicks View Post
    Another problem I have with the pre-packaged chex mix ... not enough peanuts. The cheddar mix is pretty darn good, though.

I love the idea of Cheez-its. That's gonna happen.

The smoke will happen on Tuesday evening. I'll post results. I think this will require a light touch with the wood chips.
    Just throw in some peanuts of your own. I like to add assorted Honey-roasted nuts. Makes for a really nice touch.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-2.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	422390

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Oh it is. I love it. Its like crack though, I can't put it down!

• JGrana
    commented on 's reply
    All I can say is "wow". Sounds crunchy good.

• Buck Flicks
    replied
    Another problem I have with the pre-packaged chex mix ... not enough peanuts. The cheddar mix is pretty darn good, though.

I love the idea of Cheez-its. That's gonna happen.

The smoke will happen on Tuesday evening. I'll post results. I think this will require a light touch with the wood chips.

Leave a comment:

• dshaffes
    replied
    That sounds really good.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I buy one large bag of the Jalepeno, Cheddar and Regular Chex mix. Then I throw them all in to a large mixing bowl. Then I add a lot of melted butter, some Worchestire sauce and a touch of hot sauce. Then I mix. As I am mixing, I shake in some garlic and onion powder.
    Then I dump out the mixed Chex on to a large baking sheet. I try to spread it out as even as possible. Then I bake it at 400 F for about 10 mins. I really love this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• dshaffes
    replied
    I've made homemade Chex Mix twice since Thanksgiving and used the basic recipe. Here's a link to the recipe I used: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...hex-mix-105404

i modified it by adding a cup of Cheese It crackers to the mix. I'm going to make my next batch on the Traeger.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I've heard (never tried myself) that Meathead's Memphis Dust (MMD) is great on it! And popcorn.

If you want to smoke Id' say after the butter (so it's moist) plop it in in waves- 1 sample for 15 min, one for 30 min, one for 60, etc etc etc...see what's best.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    I love old school Chex mix. I didn't know that it's commercially packaged. The recipe used to be in the box when I was a kid. My mom made it all holiday season.

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    started a topic Chex Mix?

Chex Mix?

'Tis the season for Chex Mix. I love the stuff. Two questions: does anyone have an awesome recipe they're willing to share? I really don't like the commercially packaged chex mix because it just tastes like they put seasoned salt on everything, and we all know the magic is in the butter and Worcestershire sauce more than the salt.

And ... has anyone ever smoked their chex mix? I want to do this, but I'm not sure how to adjust the time and temp for a smoke as opposed to the oven.

Alternatively, I can add a dash of liquid smoke to the butter/Worcestershire sauce combo for a smoky flavor. I'm already planning on smoking some mixed nuts for holiday gatherings, so I'll already have the SnS running and nuts don't take very long, so I'll definitely have some fuel left to burn.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here