Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chex Mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    I am making up two batches today, for some ice fishing tomorrow. Great snack to have in the Clam.

Leave a comment:

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    How many cups of cereal does a box hold?

• dshaffes
    replied
    You should try buying the regular Chex cereal box in all 3 flavors (Corn, Rice, Wheat) instead of the pre mix stuff.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    What temp on smoker for yer nuts... lol

• jlazar
    replied
    Here is what I use. I bake in the oven. Haven't tried smoking it. I double the original amount of Worcestershire to get more of a kick.

Chex Mix

Makes about 12 cups

6 tablespoons butter
    5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    3 cups Corn Chex cereal
    3 cups Rice Chex cereal
    3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
    1 cup mixed nuts
    1 cup bite-size pretzels
    1 cup bagel chips

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. In an ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in the oven. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir in chex cereals, mixed nuts, pretzels, and bagel chips until coated. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels until cooled. Store in an airtight container.

Note: I have also combined all the liquid and spices in a sauce pan and heated on the stove. Then pour over the chex/nuts/bagels etc., in a brown grocery bag and shake lightly to coat all items. Then spread on a baking sheet and cook as above.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Keep us posted, Buck Flicks . Your changes sound pretty tasty.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    replied
    I'm going to try again this weekend. Changes will be:

MORE peanuts, and no water in the reservoir.
    NOT the Hot & Spicy Chex mix. Maybe the regular, cheddar, and jalapeno.
    MORE butter.
    MORE worchestershire.
    ADD a little Soy Sauce.
    ADD Cheerios.
    ADD pretzel sticks.

Try the 250 degrees at 1 hour finishing method.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    My stomach just rumbled!!

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
    I buy one large bag of the Jalepeno, Cheddar and Regular Chex mix. Then I throw them all in to a large mixing bowl. Then I add a lot of melted butter, some Worchestire sauce and a touch of hot sauce. Then I mix. As I am mixing, I shake in some garlic and onion powder.
    Then I dump out the mixed Chex on to a large baking sheet. I try to spread it out as even as possible. Then I bake it at 400 F for about 10 mins. I really love this stuff.
    Whoa, this sounds so good! I usually just mix Jalapeno, Cheddar, Regular, and Extreme Habenero together, toss in some mixed nuts and call it a day. Mixing in more ingredients and baking for 10 minutes kicks it up several notches, I'm guessing. Thanks, Spinaker for your spin on this. I'm definitely going to give it a try after I load up on the required bags of Chex Mix at the local Fastop or Get 'n Go. The grocery stores only carry the milder mixes.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• dshaffes
    replied
    I take a different approach to cooking the mix. I put the mix in a roasting pan and cook at 250 for 1 hour, and stir the mixture every 15 minutes. Comes out perfect!

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    Remove the water pan when smoking nuts or cheese. I use fruit wood on nuts. Add a bit of hotsauce to the Worcestershire sauce, don't forget a bit of onion and garlic powder. On the chex mix. I find convect makes a crispier chef mix. I'll do a write-up soon when I make it for this Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    replied
    So I spent the evening smoking nuts (my wife was giggling all evening over that phrase) and watching for Geminid metors. I'd say that ultimately both endeavors were disappointing. Smoked the dry roasted peanuts for the Chex mix first - with a mix of Old Bay and cayenne pepper. They turned out odd... the smoke ... essence? on the nuts reminded me of a wet leaf fire, instead of a nice hard wood smoke. It wasn't very pleasant (acrid.) Should I have left the water out of the reservoir in my SnS? Did I have the temperature too low? I was keeping it below 250.

The smoked mixed nuts, however turned out nice. I used Old Bay, cayenne, and chili powder. I opened the vents a little bit to boost the temp. Mostly because I didn't want to be up all night.

The Chex Mix ... I'm not sure why, but it's just not the same as my childhood memories. Maybe I didn't use enough Worcestershire sauce, but it's just not very zesty. Also, 10 minutes at 400 degrees was a little too much (in my oven.) I had two trays, and the mix in the bottom tray got scorched. My oven might run hot. I'll have to use my fireboard to calibrate. Sounds like a nice vacation project.

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    commented on 's reply
    Hmm... great idea. I think this is what I'm going to do. Smoke the nuts (making smoked mixed nuts tonight anyway) and butter, then mix it all up and put it in the oven. That'll keep the smokiness to an acceptable level. Love Old Bay.

• Buck Flicks
    commented on 's reply
    I do. If I can't find Virginia peanuts, I get dry roasted.

• texastweeter
    replied
    Use old bay seasoning, and smoke the nuts and butter first. Oh and add hot sauce!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here