Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Wire + Vortex = Appetizers on the Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Wire + Vortex = Appetizers on the Kettle

I wanted to try out my fire wire so I made an easy appetizer for tonight. I took some beef Lil Smokies and hit them with rub and some brown sugar. Then I wrapped them in bacon. When they were done put on some Blues Hog Smoky Mountain Sauce. These were surprisingly good and gone before I knew it. Can't wait to try some real deal kabobs with this setup.

Strung up and ready to go

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	38462

On the pit with the Vortex at Warp 10

Name:	A2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	38459

Halfway there

Name:	A3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	38460

Sauced up

Name:	A4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	38461

Finished

Name:	A5.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	38458

Holy crap that looks good.....I was telling a guy today at the bow/gun shop about the Vortex. I was commenting on the magnet gun holder. One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?"
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 8, 2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

NICE!!!!!!

Comment

• Deuce
        Deuce commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jon, with all your Weber's you need a Vortex.

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, I've been burning holes in all the angel food cake pans that were laying around so Im getting close.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Holy crap that looks good.....I was telling a guy today at the bow/gun shop about the Vortex. I was commenting on the magnet gun holder. One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?"
      I know the Vortex is such a simple design seems like we should thought of that lol. The fire wire is a perfect compliment to it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeh, that wire with shrimp....oooooh baby!!!

• Deuce
        Deuce commented
        Editing a comment
        That's next, bacon wrapped shrimp with pepperjack cheese and jalapenos.

I just got my Vortex today. I love that thing. I made some great burgers for friends. Man did that thing rip in my Keg. Plus it looks like a jet engine in your cooker!!!

Comment

• Deuce
        Deuce commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol that's exactly what it looks like.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha, they cleaned up the language on my post.

Damn, now I have to add firewire to my wishlist. Who'd you buy them from?

Comment

• Deuce
        Deuce commented
        Editing a comment
        Amazon, they are the 14 1/2 " long ones

Well done! I have a Vortex and Santa's bringing fire-wires. Can't wait to try them out. Excellent pics!

Comment

Wow - that looks great! I might have to go buy a kettle just so I can try out the vortex - looks like it makes a 1st class oven out of your Weber!

All I need to do is show the wife pics of your lil smokies apps and the ones of DWC's wings and she'll go for it I am thinking!

Comment

Deuce that's a great cook. Love that Vortex!

Comment

• Deuce
            Deuce commented
            Editing a comment
            Dave how is that Vortex working on your Hasty Bake ?

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Very well. I'm using it for low and slow and high heat cooking. I guess it'd be nice if it was square or rather trapezoidal since my firebox is square, but overall I use it every cook now.

I think I'm going to start doing foundry work with my Vortex

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Awesome, I was thinking of something like that for my PBC, do some kabobs or use it for security on some heavier items. A lot of the beef ribs I get have very little between the bones in places, running that through the top and bottom would ensure it stayed out of the coals.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Trust me, beef ribs ain't going no where. Every time I cook them, I go longer, and longer, to break down that fat and what not. And I'm going longer next time!!!

May pan and braise for a bit....Christ Lilly style..

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                Even after removing the membrane, there is a tough layer on the bottom, do you get that too or am I somehow not removing enough? I have tried removing more but it is bare bone at that point.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here