Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for pickled eggs recipe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for pickled eggs recipe!

I'm doing some of these today. I made a few batches a few years ago and can't remember my pickling recipe. But I do remember some things I learned during the process last time...

I've set out about 3 doz eggs for nearly 3 weeks now, so they'll be easier to peel.

Put in cold water and bring to a boil. Also for ease of peeling.

Use medium eggs instead of larger, as the pickling solution can penetrate more of the egg proportionally. Another option is to poke with a toothpick several spots deep into each egg, but I didn't find that this really seemed to make much of a difference, somehow.

Egg spinning. It's funny, I don't know if you guys have tried this, but seriously, spinning the eggs before you gently place them in the pot seems to make a difference in getting the denser yolk to "center" in the egg which is really more helpful for deviled eggs, but I also think it makes for a better pickled egg, as it is more consistent and more aesthetically pleasing.

As for additions into the pickling jar, there are lots of options -

1. bell peppers and onions, of course
    2. jalapeno peppers - of course - with seeds and all.
    - I once used serrano peppers when they were out of jalapenos. Wow. All I have to say is, if you do this, you'd better be used to using serranos, as they are significantly hotter than jalapenos. I should have cut back the number, or deseeded them or something. I think I put something like 6 in a gallon jar, and I sadly ended up tossing most of this one. It was just way too much.
    3. beets is a neat addition. Obviously very colorful. Nice side along with the eggs.
    4. Carrots - this wasn't bad, either. Pretty nice, especially with the jalapenos, kinda like at some Mexican restaurants you get a bowl of pickled carrots, onions and jalapenos. Awesome!

So, what other things do you guys like to put in your pickled egg jars? And what do you make your pickling solution out of??? I'm going to be boiling and peeling the eggs this afternoon, so probably sometime this evening I'll check back and see what kind of options I've got to work with.

I'vedone habanero peppers only to find the eggs do not pick up any of the heat just the beats do. I dont get fancy any more just beets vinegar and surgar to taste. I know some that use cloves and other spices, im just gettingold so i trend towards the simpler ways

Comment

Well, I think I'm definitely going to put some garlic in there, too. I'm just open to whatever other options are out there.

Comment

Ok...I do the "idiots guide to pickled eggs" version! I like hot, spicy pickles!! Every time I finish a jar, I boil eggs, peel them, put in as many that fit in the jar, screw on the lid, put it back on the fridge and wait a week! All the spices I already like are in the jar! The longer they sit, the stronger the spice in the eggs! That's as much work as pickled eggs get in my house! Oh, I have done this with bread and butter pickles, hot and sweet pickles, and plain dill pickles. You might try it.

Comment

I make them often enough. I have several iterations over the years but lately I just keep it simple and make smaller jars for me. Moonbeam will eat them, but not like I do!

Here is my latest I have used over some time now. Probably change it up again at some point. I don't use beets never. Used peppers many times, but these are my go to to make a simple quick and easy 1 QT jar of eggs...

You can do pickling spice, but I can't stand clove so I don't use it.

2 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar

3/4 cup Red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon of Garlic Sea Salt

1 tablespoon Siracha Sauce

1-2 tablespoon Brown Sugar (more if you like)

1 Bay leaf

1 tablespoon pepper corn

4 cloves of garlic peeled and halved

8-10 Boiled and peeled eggs

1 quart glass jar with lid

Heat all of the ingredients in a sauce pan until it boils. Pour this mixture over the boiled eggs in the jar making sure the eggs are COVERED and then refrigerate for 4 weeks before serving. These will last in the fridge for a couple of months thereafter but mine are usually gone in a couple of weeks. Down here in the swamps, you see gallon jugs of pickled eggs sitting on the counter at every bar. Don't be scared.

Click image for larger version

Name:	167004_1743567185772_1541163_n.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	305981

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks man! Let's just say, several Old Chubs, mixed with a half a jar of boiled eggs, made for an interesting night!

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Love pickled eggs. Pheasant eggs are especially good! (Smaller faster & more spice!) Getting the right time of year to do up a few quarts. Will give your recipe a try. Thanks!

• snowswamp
            snowswamp commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m making these today. I’m excited to try them... in a month. 😀

Here's what I ended up with:

Jar on the left is red, orange and yellow bell peppers, onions and about 4 large jalapenos sliced in eighths lengthwise.

Jar on the right is same 4 largish jalapenos and some carrots and cucumbers.

I just did a simple brine - about a tablespoon of peppercorns, several cloves of chopped fresh garlic, couple bay leaves per jar and maybe a teaspoon or so of regular salt, then covered to the brim in apple cider vinegar.

I think they're lookin' good! I guess they should be ready to try in about a week or so? From my last couple batches, which were several years ago, they didn't get really good penetration until around 2 weeks in the brine, but I was using larger eggs then.

Oh, and that crap about letting eggs sit for a couple weeks before cooking and peeling is B.S.! I had 3 dozen I let sit for nearly 3 weeks... I cooked them, peeled them and put them in the brine, but I wasn't feeling confident about them at all. They had a very strong sulphur smell, were slightly slimy and off-white/nearly yellowish color and I just didn't feel quite "right" about them - so they went into the disposal and I bought 4 dozen NEW eggs (off the shelf) and cooked and peeled them immediately. The new ones actually peeled a LOT easier than the "rested" ones. So I won't be bothering with that little "tip" anymore.

Comment

If you just need a few eggs pickled up, simply save the juice from a jar of dill pickles you have emptied, and drop in some hard boiled eggs. 3-4 days later you will have some quick, pickled eggs.

Comment

Yeah, we don't really go through pickles much.

Comment

Im just getting around to trying pickling eggs. Here are some more recipes I found that looked interesting.

Comment

I use a mix of onion, jalapeno, habanero, and red pepper flake when I make my one gallon batch. If I am doing a small batch I use a similar recipe to what lonnie mac posted. But of course I like spicy, and yes I eat the peppers at least 1 of each when having an egg.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cause peppers is our friend!

• AverageJoe
                  AverageJoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones oh indeed sir. Indeed.

The owner made them at a tavern I slung beer at years ago, water/vinnegar with pickling spice but his go to ingredient was whole Mustard seed.
                Those eggs sold like hot cakes

Comment

Interesting historic recipe: https://youtu.be/NojtlqEUE0A

I subscribe to this channel, lots of interesting recipes and history.

Comment

I don't think I have ever tried a pickled egg. They kinda remind me of some of the dive bars I spent waaaaaay too much of my youth in...

Comment

Hard to find a tavern in Northern Wisconsin that doesn't have pickled eggs!

I make mine the lazy-man's way -- get one of those huge jars of Famous Dave's hot pickles (the bread-and-butter, chip style); eat the pickles, add in a bunch of boiled eggs when the pickles are gone, with whatever else sounds good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here