Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Shots

Here's a neat little appetizer that I like to make called Pig Shots. I read about them over at the Brethren, but I am not sure who created them first.

I take a long link of sausage and cut it into 1/2 inch slices or "coins", wrap the "coin" with half a piece of thick peppered bacon, creating a cup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	30105

For this batch, I use baby salad shrimp. Tossed one in the bottom of each cup:

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	30106

I mixed the filling with Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese, and seasoned it with a little Slap Ya Mama Spicy. You can get creative here. Another time I mixed the cheeses with pulled pork. Put the cheese mixture into a piping bag (or a zip lock bag with one corner removed) and filled the cups about 2/3s full. The filling will expand a bit when it cooks. Topped with another shrimp.

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	30107
    Attached Files

Hmmm. Issue posting, so I'll just make a second post.

I smoked these at around 275* until the bacon got cooked to my liking. It won't get crunchy, but you want it cooked.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	30109

A couple plated:

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	30110
    Close up:

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	30111
    These are really rich. And delicious.

Comment

• BBQBryan
      BBQBryan commented
      Editing a comment
      I purchased a Rec Tec340! I can't wait to get it!!!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      BBQBryan, congrats on the new smoker. Now fire her up and lets get going!! Remember to post pics in the show us what you're cooking thread.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations, BBQBryan, on choosing that new Rec Tec. It sure gets high marks on this website. Have a lot of fun smoking on it.

Kathryn

Looks awesome! I do meat candy which is just bacon wrapped little smokies. I wonder if I could do it with potato and cheese, it would be like a little loaded baked potato app.

Comment

Well, now I've tried making them, and they're great! I didn't have any shrimp around, but this will def be added to my standard repertoire.

Comment

Awesome recipe gonna use this one as fingfood for catering, thanks for sharing

Comment

I almost licked my computer screen on that last pic... ;-)

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Me drooling.....

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            LMAO at that.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Screen lickers should never click on the "show us what you're cooking" thread.👅

I will have to try this. Slap Yo Mama seasoning is some good stuff. I put on everything just about.

Comment

• Pork Lord
            Pork Lord commented
            Editing a comment
            I like it too because it is much less salty than Tony's

• THoey1963
            THoey1963 commented
            Editing a comment
            Love me some Slap Ya Mama. We get the spicy version and I use it on something almost daily. Lunch today was a turkey sandwich and it got a good sprinkling of it, with some cherry tomatoes sliced in half and sprinkled too... My rib rub uses it, butts, brisket, beef ribs, pasta salad, whatever. But, then again, we like spicy...

Thanks y'all... Oh, I did not come up with these, just sharing something I found somewhere else. But they are great. You can change the ingredients to suit your desires or what you have on hand. I did one where I mixed in some pulled pork. It was pretty good too. (HINT: chop the pulled pork to make it easier to get through the bag!)

Make sure people don't try to be all dainty with these and take several small bites. They won't get all the flavors together. Open mouth, insert shot, remove toothpick, chew, enjoy...

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by THoey1963 View Post
            Make sure people don't try to be all dainty with these and take several small bites. They won't get all the flavors together. Open mouth, insert shot, remove toothpick, chew, enjoy...
            I'm thinking that's why they call it a shot...

I'm so dying to try this recipe. Thanks a bunch, THoey!

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; December 17, 2014, 04:27 PM.

• THoey1963
            THoey1963 commented
            Editing a comment
            You would think that Kathryn, but I saw people biting the top off and then finishing with the bottom, or trying to eat them from the side in one or two bites. I have a big head, and big cheeks, but not that big of mouth "space", yet these fit whole in my mouth...

Terry

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            Terry, they are afraid of looking like they have no manners. Dainty is the correct word as you said.

Nice. Looks like a lotta work but I bet this would be a huge hit for anyone who loves eating things.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            hahahahahaha, I was just skimming this and this caught my eye. LOL, Husk!

They are some work, but it is really four stages that can be spread out over a couple hours. Slice the sausage and bacon, wrap the bacon and poke with toothpick, mix the filling, squeeze the filling. Oh, and then cooking them...

And they are worth the effort for the right occasion. I'll be making a double batch this weekend.

Comment

Oh hells yes! This is awesome! I make an appetizer I call "Pork candy" I grab two bags of pitted dates, habanero peppers, and bacon. *caution WEAR LATEX GLOVES WHEN HANDLING THE PEPPER...learned that the hard way a few years ago* slice the peppers into thin wedges, de-seed, and stuff the pitted date with the pepper, wrap in half pieces of bacon and grill at a high heat 350-375 degrees for about 10-15 min....awesome stuff!

Comment

Funny how something so simple (ok, it's a little work) can turn out something fancy. Plate up the following for your V-Day appetizer and it will look great:

This is a photo of the batch I made with the pulled pork in the mix. Added a drop of Sriracha sauce just for color and a different taste.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice presentation.

Terry any portions/measurements for the filling? Estimated.

Comment

• THoey1963
                THoey1963 commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothing that I have ever measured. I have made them three times now, different batch sizes each time, and I always end up making too much filling. I just make sure I have some jalapenos to fill and wrap too.

I would say a single Eckrich sausage package (I get the skinless four pepper blend with two sausages in the package), a package or two of thick sliced peppered bacon (cut slices in half), a box or two of Philly cream cheese, a small container of sour cream (I use just enough to thin it out a little), about a cup or so of grated cheese of choice, and seasoning / other *stuff* like the baby shrimp or pulled pork (chopped fine) to taste.

Sorry, not too scientific.

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                Does not matter if it taste good. I figure the sour cream was to thin it out with the two cheeses in.

I made these a while back after seeing this post. They were a huge hit at New Years. I used cowboy caviar, habanero cheddar with a smoked kielbasa for the bottom of the bacon shot. Then I used some Slabs pork rub for a finisher. (Cold bacon is the key to getting a good wrap!!)
              These lil' guys were killer.

Name:	IMG_2799.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	63020

Comment

• THoey1963
                THoey1963 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks good!

Sure does thanks Spinaker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here