Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Spinaker, what is cowboy cavier? I am going to make these this weekend for Daytona 500 weekend. They will be a hit.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Corn, black beans, onions, pepper and some sugar.

HOLEY MOLEY
    I've copied THIS recipe! THANK YOU!

Comment

Not sure where I found them but been doing them for years. We fill the cups with brown sugar and rub mixed together and call them BBQ Crack. Will be trying these new additions soon.

Comment

OMG... these are ridiculous. And so many variations you can do with them... I came looking for some kind of appetizer for tomorrow's sous vide steak extravaganza, and I think I've found it!

Going to do some with cheddar, maybe some with pepper jack, or maybe cream cheese and top with a jalapeno slice! Since some of my guests aren't into hot stuff, that would be a great way to warn them away from the ones they won't like.

Oh, man, soooooo many possibilities with this concept. Thanks for posting!

Comment

They look really good.

Comment

This is awesome. I'm glad this post came back up. Definitely doing on my next gathering.

Comment

Ok, so I've decided to do these 2 ways. I think I may try to smoke the shot glasses before filling them, see if I can crisp up the bacon a bit... for both, the sausage slice wrapped in bacon for the "shot glass," as usual.

1. Toss a chunk of pepper jack inside, topped with a slice of jalapeno, seasoned over the top with Slap Ya Momma seasoning. Maybe even another jalapeno slice on the bottom, too, I haven't decided about that one.

2. For those who don't care for the heat, I'm gonna do smoky sweet. Filling will be a mix of some leftover smoked pulled pork, chopped fine, some thick BBQ sauce just to help it stick together, a small dollop of dark brown sugar, all topped with a few drops of Elijah Craig bourbon.

Both will be smoked on the Traeger.

What do you guys think????

Comment

I think👍👍👍
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me Too!!!! Wowzers!!!

Let us know how your plan works, DogFaced PonySoldier . I've wanted to do these for a while now but don't like bacon that is not crisply cooked. I had thought to par-cook the bacon before wrapping it around to make the shot but par cooked bacon is really rubbery and doesn't want to assume a shape as easily as raw bacon does.

I par-cook bacon for ABTs and it works just fine, but that's a different type of bacon wrap.

Kathryn

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  With thick bacon you should still be able to wrap it OK after par-cooking.

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree on the thick bacon. I also think getting the par cooked bacon cold might help.

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the fat from the sausage will preclude at least the lower portion from crisping. I've never had the bottom of the shot crisp.

Yes, it won't be truly crispy bacon, I know that... however, I've actually considered putting them in the oven on broil for a few minutes to finish them off. Not sure if that would do any good, but I figure it might be worth a shot, and would certainly help caramelize the bourbon and brown sugar, eh?

Comment

So here's my start -

Comment

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier Yes!!! Great to see this thread back in the mix. Thanks for recalling it. I love making these and they are always a huge hit. I love to use a HOT cheddar, with cowboy caviar and some cream cheese.

Comment

• Thunder77
                        Thunder77 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What is cowboy caviar?

Steve Markley, whom we all miss, gave us a Cowboy Caviar recipe here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...y-caviar-salsa

Like Thunder77 , I'd love to hear about the recipe you use, Spinaker .

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll join you too, richinlbrg. Hope I can find some Buffalo Trace at our state liquor store.

Kathryn

• richinlbrg
                        richinlbrg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The more the merrier!

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, fzxdoc , but here in VA they keep whatever they may have under the cash register and never tell anyone. One has to know to ask for it.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good to know, richinlbrg. Thanks!
                        K.

9 pm the 23rd it is but I need to know the time zone.I think it will be a nice tribute. Hope others can join?

Comment

• richinlbrg
                        richinlbrg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have to do it in the east. Perhaps it should be in our own zones as we are spread all over, or I can go earlier

Any later than 9 and, well, I regret to inform you that I'll be asleep. GEESH

• Steve Vojtek
                        Steve Vojtek commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Maybe the zone doesn't matter that much. The thought does...done! and I think we should post it here on AR as well...

• richinlbrg
                        richinlbrg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        👍 !

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here