Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the first recipe I used back in 2012, from a friend with a BGE.

We served up over 90 of these "Pig Shots" at the Eggs By The Bay Eggfest last month and I didn't get a single one of them. So when a birthday potluck celebration came up yesterday, I cooked up a small batch (1/2 of the recipe below) of 26 shots in the Small. I normally get about 30-34 of these per pack of bacon but the 16 oz pack I bought had slices a little on the thick side (only 13 slices).

Here's how I make them.

Wrap a 3/8-1/2" disc of sausage (I like kielbasa) with a 1/2 piece of bacon, secure with a skewer or toothpicks & lightly dust with rub:

image​

Fill the "shot glass" with a cream cheese, cheese, & green chilies mix:

image​

Top with a mix of brown sugar, cayenne powder, chili powder, & BBQ rub:

image​

Cook indirect (suppose raised direct would work) in Egg until bacon is crisped to your liking:

image​image​

These 25 shots (I had one!) went into Pyrex over a hot pack and taken to work where they promptly disappeared! They pack a lot of flavor into a bite!

image​

Recipe

Ingredients:

Nathan’s Beef Kielbasa – qty 2
    Bacon 16 oz packages – qty 2
    Cream Cheese – 8 oz
    Mexican 4-cheese blend – 1/2 cup
    Green Chiles Diced – 3 oz
    Brown Sugar – ½ cup
    Chili Powder – ½ tsp
    Cayenne Pepper – ½ tsp
    BBQ Rub - ½ tsp + a light dusting

Preparation:

Cut sausage down to discs about 3/8” thick.
    Wrap ½ slice of bacon around the disc and fix in place with a toothpick or skewer several "shots" (10” skewer can hold 4-5 shots).
    Soften cream cheese and mix in cheese blend and chiles
    Pipe or spoon the cream cheese blend into the shot
    Mix the brown sugar, chili powder, and cayenne pepper together and sprinkle on top of cream cheese filling
    Lightly sprinkle with BBQ rub

Cook indirect around 280-320 degrees until bacon has crisped up (approx 70-90 minutes). Smoke wood is optional.

Last edited by wrgilb; October 12, 2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Thought I would bump this up for the BIG GAME on Sunday. I will be making these for sure!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You bet! Gives these babies a try! HawkerXP

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!!! 3 years and I've missed this thread completely. On the menu for Sunday!!!! Looks amazing.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hell yeah! like to use Cowboy caviar with habanero cheddar! You will love it my friend! JCBBQ

I am going to do some pork belly burnt ends for the game... maybe I'll do some pig shots, too!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Looks delicious!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Give these A try. they are a knock out!

The only question, in regards to the Super Bowl party I have been invited to, is whether I smoke these at home and bring them, or just bring my Jumbo Joe with me and cook a few rounds at halftime.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I have done both, they are better when they are hot. I smoke them right before I leave, then put them in a covered Tupperware, then throw them in the oven at the party to crisp them up.

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          Just talked to the host and he's cool with me setting the grill up in the back. Plus it makes an event out of it anyway. (And with the bloody Patriots in the game, I'm really there for the party more than the sport anyway, lol.)

There are a lot of ways to go with this concoction can't wait to try it out!!

Comment

I made a variation of these a few weeks back. They were a big hit.

I ran into a small issue with the size of the bacon I was using. Half a slice wasn't quite long enough to wrap around the sausage. Had to cut a little more than half to wrap, then was left with a piece of bacon that was too small to wrap. Fortunately I had had a super quick and easy recipe for that leftover bacon. Step 1 - cook to desired crispness. Step 2 - let cool slightly. Step 3 - stuff mouth with cooked bacon.

Comment

• jumbo7676
            jumbo7676 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not really MY recipe. Nobody knows for certain where it originated, but I'm pretty sure it came from heaven.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice improv, way to think on your feet!

• jharner
            jharner commented
            Editing a comment
            You would be surprised how far you can stretch a raw piece of bacon

Great reminder. I had this flagged a while ago. Bumped back to the top.

Comment

Fantastic recipe

Comment

I picked up the goodies for this tonight. I am going to use Jalapeño Kielbasa, White Cheddar, thick-cut hickory bacon, Melidnas hot sauce, and Cowboy caviar!

I can't wait!

Comment

AR's latest facebook post by Clint Cantwell is about fried pickles. Yum. Whattabout adding pickle slices to Pig Shots?

.... wandering off to see what deli pickles I've got in the fridge ....
                Last edited by IowaGirl; February 2, 2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• SMOG MAN
                  SMOG MAN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You might have hit on something... I’m in!

I went with the OG recipe on this go round.....I had my helpers with me today, which I absolutely LOVE. Cooking becomes that much better when these little clowns are there to help! They are the greatest thing to ever happen to my kitchen!

I started with some jalapeño-cheddar kielbasa from Costco and sliced them in to thick 1/2" "coins" for the base in my shot glasses. Then I wrapped them in some cold, thick-cut bacon. The thicker coin helps you skewer the bacon to the kielbasa!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3499.jpg Views:	1 Size:	271.1 KB ID:	631447

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3496.jpg Views:	1 Size:	188.5 KB ID:	631439Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3495.jpg Views:	1 Size:	260.3 KB ID:	631440
                After making the pig shot glasses I had my niece (Sara) give a small squirt of Siracha into the bottom of the pig shot. (We had to do some test squirts first!)
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3483.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	631443
                Anyway, we blended up a mixture of sour cream, cream cheese and some Vermont Sharp Cheddar. Then I added some Slabs rub to the mix for some smokey flavoring and salt. (Sara is the best helper I could ask for!!) Here she is putting the cream cheese mixture into the 1-gallon zip lock, just before dispensing into the shots.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3479.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	631441Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3490.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	631442
                Sara was in charge of filling all of the Shots and making sure not to add too much to each pig shot. (Her younger brother, John, was not as careful..... )
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3487.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	631444
                After we added the cream cheese, it was time for the little shrimp to be added to the top. Sara and John both helped out with this one.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3492.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	631445
                I can not wait to get these cooking tomorrow. Look how proud these kids are of their hard work! I was melting the entire time they were doing this. Come to think of it, they pretty much did all of it. This really is why we do what we do. Happy Super Bowl Everyone. I am beyond lucky to have such wonderful assistants to make my Super Bowl special!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3494.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	631446

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank You, Kathryn. Nothing is better than having their help. I know it won't last forever. fzxdoc

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great post Uncle John!! One of the great joys in my life is having children help in the kitchen. I loved it when I was a child and it's wonderful to share that magic. They will remember these moments for the rest of their lives.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Mike. I just need to hold on to it as long as I can, I know it won't last! CaptainMike

Nice!

Comment

I have to try some of these recipies. I may add an ingredient from my wife's version of bacon wrapped water chestnuts. They are a favorite.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bacon wrapped anything is a favorite around here!

GREAT timing on your bump, Spinaker ! A small rack of baby backs and the first batch of pig shots.

Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! This was one of my favorite days!

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to see you back, it seems like long time.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here