Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made this recipe for Pig Shots last weekend for a family event. They were a huge success, I made a variation of them today with water chestnuts and again they vanished! I really appreciate all the recipes and suggestions here.

Comment

I can tell you, I will be experimenting with these some more. I think I'm going to use polska kielbasa next time for a little more flavor to the base. I'm not sure how to manage to crisp up the bacon. I know it's next to impossible to get crispy bacon any way but by skillet or baking it flat in the oven, but I am open to ideas!

Actually, I just had a thought... I might use Earl Campbell Hot Links for the sausage base next time, I think that would be AWESOME! Then the jalapeno pepper slice on top of the sausage and maybe something like gouda or muenster cheese inside? I actually really like those little red cherry peppers Pizza Hut puts on their 5-pepper pizza, I think they call them Chilean cherry peppers or something? wonder where I can find those... I'd love to find some habanero jack cheese around, somewhere, or some ghost pepper cheddar!

I might just have to mix up some kind of concoction of my own. Ghost peppers with cream cheese to tone them down a bit, perhaps?I am not a fan of the flavor of serranos, unfortunately, since they're right in the middle of what I'm looking for.

Comment

The software update issue caused me to check back in and I see this thread got bounced. Glad y'all enjoy them.

As for the bacon crisping up, it will probably never get to be completely like that ash flavored stuff my Mom used to make for Dad, but nobody likes that any ways. 😜 Seriously, I usually pull them when the bacon starts to firm up. Carryover and drying out a little gets them almost crispy. But, unless you toss the whole thing in your mouth like I do, you want to be able to bite through the bacon without it crumbling, so you don't want it too crisp.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude this is one of my favorite posts. These are so damn good! They have become a staple at our 4th of July party! Thanks!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Check this out - it's a crazy idea, but I'm going to try it sometime. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...on-recipe.html

Haven't made these in a while. I'll have to think of a reason...

Comment

Im not sure how or by whom this thread got revived but where have these been my whole life?? My mind is racing!!!

I think i can come up with something. i have some home made andouille left from the 4th of July. HHmmmm..... Saturday the kids leaving to Tahoe for a week. SWMBO leaving for Virginia the following day... My hamster wheel is spinning. i am also hungry. System overload!

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            Im not sure how or by whom this thread got revived but where have these been my whole life?? My mind is racing!!!

I think i can come up with something. i have some home made andouille left from the 4th of July. HHmmmm..... Saturday the kids leaving to Tahoe for a week. SWMBO leaving for Virginia the following day... My hamster wheel is spinning. i am also hungry. System overload!
            These are one of my favorite things to make. You will not be disappointed.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man, I cant wait. Taking Sophia to LAX on Sunday Morning then was going straight to Costco for a "Prime" anything. now i have to plan this out. I will be in "Double Secret Probation" mode. I may even use the "Cone of Silence."

Fotta be room for some jalapenos in there too...anyone ever heard of armadillo eggs?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, that's exactly what I'm thinkin. A good chunk of jalapeño instead of another piece of meat to go with the sausage & bacon, maybe even a Serrano.

Nice work, Spinaker !

Comment

Glad this one got bumped back up. These are great.

Comment

Makes me want breakfast.

Comment

I did these back in February for the first time. Not as good as yours but they were tasty nonetheless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180204_163542_545.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	577767

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                    BriggsBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wonder if you can use a slice of jalapeno as the base and fill it with some maple/cream cheese. Would be a more bacon forward popper.

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BriggsBBQ Great idea. I'll bet it would work. I might have to try it.

Nice...I’m glad this one got revived!
                  Can’t wait to try these,
                  The possible variations are endless.

Comment

Wow, that looks awesome!

Comment

Thanks for popping this thread back to the top. I read it when it started but never got around to making. Now back on the list.

Comment

• Attjack
                        Attjack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Football food IMO.

• jgreen
                        jgreen commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great idea, but I think they might make a good snack anytime.

Would a culinary torch work to crisp the bacon? Could you line them up and take the torch right down the line, turn 'em all, then torch the other side?

Comment

• wrgilb
                        wrgilb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I partially cook the bacon at 400 in the oven for 10 minutes, then wrap them around the sausage. The bacon is still pliable at that point, but crisps up nicely before the cheese melts to much on the bbq.

• BriggsBBQ
                        BriggsBBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This is what I love about this forum. There's always a guy out there that had another great solution to a culinary issue.

• surfdog
                        surfdog commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was thinking the same...but as I haven’t tried it...wasn’t sure.
                        I think that combined with the wrgilb would be great for more crispy bacon. Impossible to be eaten in small bites, but they are "shots" after all...not cheesy bacon nibbles.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here