Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    Thought I would bump this up for the BIG GAME on Sunday. I will be making these for sure!

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    I was thinking the same...but as I haven’t tried it...wasn’t sure.
    I think that combined with the wrgilb would be great for more crispy bacon. Impossible to be eaten in small bites, but they are "shots" after all...not cheesy bacon nibbles.

• BriggsBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    This is what I love about this forum. There's always a guy out there that had another great solution to a culinary issue.

• wrgilb
    replied
    Here's the first recipe I used back in 2012, from a friend with a BGE.

We served up over 90 of these "Pig Shots" at the Eggs By The Bay Eggfest last month and I didn't get a single one of them. So when a birthday potluck celebration came up yesterday, I cooked up a small batch (1/2 of the recipe below) of 26 shots in the Small. I normally get about 30-34 of these per pack of bacon but the 16 oz pack I bought had slices a little on the thick side (only 13 slices).

Here's how I make them.

Wrap a 3/8-1/2" disc of sausage (I like kielbasa) with a 1/2 piece of bacon, secure with a skewer or toothpicks & lightly dust with rub:

image​

Fill the "shot glass" with a cream cheese, cheese, & green chilies mix:

image​

Top with a mix of brown sugar, cayenne powder, chili powder, & BBQ rub:

image​

Cook indirect (suppose raised direct would work) in Egg until bacon is crisped to your liking:

image​image​

These 25 shots (I had one!) went into Pyrex over a hot pack and taken to work where they promptly disappeared! They pack a lot of flavor into a bite!

image​

Recipe

Ingredients:

Nathan’s Beef Kielbasa – qty 2
    Bacon 16 oz packages – qty 2
    Cream Cheese – 8 oz
    Mexican 4-cheese blend – 1/2 cup
    Green Chiles Diced – 3 oz
    Brown Sugar – ½ cup
    Chili Powder – ½ tsp
    Cayenne Pepper – ½ tsp
    BBQ Rub - ½ tsp + a light dusting

Preparation:

Cut sausage down to discs about 3/8” thick.
    Wrap ½ slice of bacon around the disc and fix in place with a toothpick or skewer several "shots" (10” skewer can hold 4-5 shots).
    Soften cream cheese and mix in cheese blend and chiles
    Pipe or spoon the cream cheese blend into the shot
    Mix the brown sugar, chili powder, and cayenne pepper together and sprinkle on top of cream cheese filling
    Lightly sprinkle with BBQ rub

Cook indirect around 280-320 degrees until bacon has crisped up (approx 70-90 minutes). Smoke wood is optional.

Last edited by wrgilb; October 12, 2018, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wrgilb
    commented on 's reply
    I partially cook the bacon at 400 in the oven for 10 minutes, then wrap them around the sausage. The bacon is still pliable at that point, but crisps up nicely before the cheese melts to much on the bbq.

• BriggsBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Let us know how well it works. I am interested in trying this. I need to work on my appetizer game for sure.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    That might could work.... matter of fact, a few seconds with my flamethrower might be able to throw a crisp and sear on a whole tray of them at once. I'm gonna give it a try!

• jumbo7676
    replied
    Would a culinary torch work to crisp the bacon? Could you line them up and take the torch right down the line, turn 'em all, then torch the other side?

Leave a comment:

• Ricardo
    commented on 's reply
    Delectable indeed. Must give this a try!!!
    Thank you for sharing.

• jgreen
    commented on 's reply
    Great idea, but I think they might make a good snack anytime.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    BriggsBBQ Great idea. I'll bet it would work. I might have to try it.

• BriggsBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    I wonder if you can use a slice of jalapeno as the base and fill it with some maple/cream cheese. Would be a more bacon forward popper.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Football food IMO.

• jgreen
    replied
    Thanks for popping this thread back to the top. I read it when it started but never got around to making. Now back on the list.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Deter
    replied
    Wow, that looks awesome!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here