Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Cheese Sandwiches... GrillGrates.πŸ€”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Cheese Sandwiches... GrillGrates.πŸ€”

Out here in LaLa Land these Grilled Cheese sandwich trucks are popular. However me and retail prices for food don't see eye to eye.πŸ˜– I'm thinking that sandwich can be made cheaply just using the GrillGrates on my BGE.πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

https://app.microventures.com/crowdf...k-03282017news

Breadhead if you have any go to recipes, toss em out. I have not yet done grilled cheese on my BGE, but I sure as hell am now motivated!!!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      It's pretty basic really. The key I think is not to cook it on high heat. Low and slow with the lid down... will allow the cheese to melt before you've burned the toast. Use mayo, not butter. I use sharp Tillamook cheddar cheese. I'll occasionally add ham or bacon just for some extra flavor.

The frill marks would look sweet! Smoked toast!

Comment

Someone posted their grilled cheese on Grillgrate sandwich here awhile back. I had to try it. I did grated side and flat side. I preferred the flat side. I did it on my Santa Maria grill. If I were to do it on my Vision grill I think I would lay both pieces of bread, butter side down and put cheese on one side. I would then put the lid down to get a bit of smokey flavor, lift, put the bread together and flip, if necessary. I don't have Grillgrates for my Kamado but I do have things that will work. You have me thinking about dinner tonight. Chicken thawing right now but.....

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        We will be looking forward to your result!

Sounds really good. Load the middle with bacon and cheese.

Comment

Yes!! Does this mean your back to cooking!?!?! C'mon!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome!! Sounds like your doing well! Great to hear! Looking forward to your cooks in the near future.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Quitting smoking, drinking, and and experiencing a major head injury all at the same time is a jarring occurance. Staying calm and not allowing the change to throw you off track is not easy, but it is what it is! It's all mind over matter.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed, and sometimes it's just the right orientation of mind - which you seem to have achieved!

There are times when you might want grill marks and there are times you wouldn't want a flat grill for a sandwich like any panini or a Cuban.....but I can't think of any reason that you'd want to do a grilled cheese on a GrillGrate...a grilled cheese wants the toastedness to be all over the bread, not just every inch or so...unless you really are drinking the GrillGrate coolaid....

Comment

• Yelnoc
          Yelnoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I forgot about turning them over - DOH!

• JefRowCheckMat
          JefRowCheckMat commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw someone flip their grill grates upside down for a flat surface. Pretty slick.
          Last edited by JefRowCheckMat; April 16, 2017, 09:27 PM.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I cook more food on the flat side of my GrillGrates than I do on the grooved side.

This sounds very promising. I just made some melty pepper jack cheese using chefsteps recipe. I used it to make a grilled cheese sami on the stove in a cast iron skillet. It was fantastic, especially dipped in some tomato soup with it, but the grill grate option would add another layer of flavor with the smoke option.

Comment

A few weeks ago I did a ham and cheese on my grill grates. I used a mixture of mayo and butter. Not bad for a simple sammy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	296495

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            It doesn't allow me to like twice

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            tbob4 Thank you! This was a last moment deal (my lunch). The taste was awesome.

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
          A few weeks ago I did a ham and cheese on my grill grates. I used a mixture of mayo and butter. Not bad for a simple sammy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	296495
          I have gone to straight mayo, can't believe that I did not learn about using it sooner as I am a grilled cheese nut. Mayo is better in every way IMO. After a day on the grill or prepping or catering sometimes I don't feel like cooking a grilled cheese always hits the spot. So many options.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here