Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked nuts

I want to share my experience with smoked nuts. Smoked nuts are a great snack and they are worth being discussed here from my point of view.

Ingredients:

- nuts of your choice (cashews, almonds and peanuts are my favorite)
    - approx. 1 egg white per pound of nuts
    - salt, pepper, chili and/or BBQ-rub
    - hickory wood chunks (beech wood also works well)

Directions:

Heat up your smoker to 250F. Place the nuts on a wire mesh inside the smoker and smoke them with hickory or beech wood for 30 minutes. Stire the nuts gently from time to time. Don't be shy ...the nuts can stand much smoke! ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_33623.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	276821

After 30 minutes remove the nuts from the smoker and let them cool down until they are lukewarm. Put them in a bowl of reasonible size and mix them with the egg white(s). Season the nuts with the stuff of your choice. Salt and pepper always works fine. I also made good experience with chili and cayenne pepper. If you like it special try Meathead's Memphis Dust... I like it.

Place the nuts back on the wire mesh in the smoker an let them dry for 10-15 minutes at reduced heat (approx. 225F).

Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20160815_18_36_56_Raw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	276819

Don't forget a proper presentation:

Click image for larger version  Name:	nuts.JPG Views:	1 Size:	249.0 KB ID:	276820

Tip:

Let the nuts cool down completely before serving, because the nuts are not crunchy when warm.
    When you plan to serve them to a later point in time: seal them in a plastic bag.

Comments, questions and ideas are welcome...

Regards
    Denis

Looks great thanks for sharing. We've tried something similar, but used butter instead of egg white. Using butter worked ok-ish, but I'm sure egg white will work better.

One tip that we used and worked well was grinding the spices in a coffee grinder to make a spice dust. This helped the seasoning to stick better and more evenly coat the nuts.

Comment

Very nice write-up and presentation! I am going to try this.

Comment

Thanks for your recipe Fire4Friends . I will have to give it a try. Those nuts look great!

Comment

Thanks for the recipe!

Comment

I smoke Almonds regularly. The only problem is they are addicting.

Comment

Fire4Friends Do you whip the egg whites into a foam before adding the nuts? This is how I have researched it to be done. Maybe an unnecessary step?
            Last edited by TheCountofQ; February 19, 2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Fire4Friends
              Fire4Friends commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi @TheCountofQ

you don't need to whip until you have foam. It's sufficient to stirr a little bit, that's it.

My wife does spiced nuts with egg whites (courtesy of Martha!). MUCH better and much less sticky/clumpy/greasy than other adherents. I'm gonna have to try smoking nuts--maybe tomorrow with meatloaf. Speaking of Martha, my wife has an apron that says: "Free Martha!".

Comment

I cold smoke nuts for 2-3 hours, then melt a little butter, brown sugar, and honey and glaze the nuts in a bowl. Add whatever rub I want, then put in the oven for about 45 minutes @ 250 degrees. They turn out great.

But now I'm going to have to try this version as well. Thanks for the write-up!

Comment

• Fire4Friends
                Fire4Friends commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi @Catmandu

I guess the temp is low if you smoke for 2-3 hours, right? I Need to try the Version with butter and honey!

I sometimes use this recipe.

"Smokin’ Almonds MAKES ABOUT 8 SERVINGS"

Prepare the EGG to cook indirect at 275°F with hickory wood added for smoke flavor.In a medium bowl, combine the honey, soy sauce, water, chili powder, salt, mustard, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and mix well. Add the almonds and mix to coat evenly. Let rest for 15 minutes, stirring once at the halfway point.
              Spray a perforated grid with vegetable cooking spray. Spread the almonds in a single layer on the prepared grid. Place the grid in the EGG and cook for 15 minutes. Using a spatula, mix the almonds around on the grid and then settle them back into a single layer. Cook the almonds for another 15 minutes, or until they are deep brown.
              Remove the grid from the EGG and immediately transfer the almonds to a sheet pan. Let cool for 15 minutes. Eat immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a few days.”

2 tablespoons honey
              1 tablespoon soy sauce
              1 tablespoon water
              2 teaspoons chili powder
              1 teaspoon of nonidolized salt
              1/4 teaspoon of mustard powder
              1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
              1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
              2 Cups of almonds

Excerpt From: Lampe, Ray. "Ray Lampe's Big Green Egg Cookbook." Andrews McMeel Publishing. iBooks.
              This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/CtHndb.l

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks for sharing this Fire4Friends !

Comment

Has anyone tried smoking pistachios in the shell?

Comment

Nice write up, thanks for the idea.

I am a fan of Meatheads Memphis Dust of almost anything I throw on my smoker. I’m going to add a touch of Kosher salt as well. Sweet and savory!

Comment

This may not be entirely on point, but elsewhere in AR I have seen recommendations for soaking (in this case) almonds in water as a binder. I have smoked hazelnuts (a firm nut, I suspect not too much different from almonds) twice both using the soaked and nonsoaked methods. There is a very clear difference. To my surprise, the soaking softened the nuts, losing much of their crunchiness. I did blind taste testing with about five people. The absolutely clear favorite (including mine) was nonsoaked. So, it depends on your preference. Next time I'm going to use Pam as a binder. Pretty sure it will work. Then, when the nuts are still warm, spraying again and seasoning with a cajun rub which was popular.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You only need to rinse them. Don’t soak.

If they aren’t as crisp you can just re-roast them in the oven at 350 for 5-6 minutes, check them and repeat until crunchy enough.

I often do pecans with melted butter with either a little brown sugar or just salt. They do disappear fast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here