Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked cheese

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1999.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	253773
    Smoked a little cheese today. Found some on sale at Sam's Club and couldn't pass it up. I used oak pellets in my amazin tube smoker on my Rec Tec. Now the hard part begins; waiting 30 days to eat it.

That looks delicious! What kinds did you smoke?

Comment

Colby, mild cheddar, and pepper jack. I usually only smoke for about 2 hours but my cousin brought some that he had smoked for 8 hours and it wasn't too bad. I only smoked for about six because I hated to get too far out of my normal 2 hours. I guess we'll find out in a month.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you like, I will give you my address, and you can send me some to critique for you. 😎😎😬

Wow, 8 hours? I did 2 hours and it was borderline too strong smoke for me. I did a batch recently and I only did it for an hour. I'm thinking it'll be just about right for my taste. I did cut mine into smaller chunks though, so that may be part of the problem. Much more surface area per bite of cheese. This time I left them in whole 8 oz chunks, so we'll see. I love experimenting!!!!

Comment

I'm lucky to have it last 3 days. 30 won't happen.

Comment

That's what I thought ROK. He only let his mellow for about two weeks and it was a little bitter. I think 30 days is mandatory for cheese smoked this long. I agree Shane. I usually store it in the beer fridge crisper so I don't think about it. I still think 6 hours is a little much but the wife wanted me to try it because she likes a little more smoke flavor. Guess we'll see.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
            Shane Rakow commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll try letting it rest for a month next time I do cheese, (tomorrow, actually). I've always just smoked it for a couple hours and consumed. I would think that vacuum packing after smoking would be a requirement to keep it from going south.

Ok, is/are there some links for smoking cheese? That's something I want to try. Hot or cold smoked? Any particular cheeses suggested? I am looking forward to hearing your report next year.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
            Shane Rakow commented
            Editing a comment
            I just googled "smoking cheese," and got 14 million hits. Not finding much with a search of "cheese" here at AR in the tested recipes section. Sounds like a great opportunity to put something together here!

The wait is killer Peterbilt123. Pepperjack is definitely my fave to smoke. The most I have gone is 3-1/2 hours of smoke. My favorite timeline is about 2hrs. Looks good, enjoy!

Comment

The wait is definitely the hardest part. Atalanta I just find whatever cheese sounds good with a little smoke. Crystal farms has a habanero that is really good to smoke paired with a little deer bologna and beer. They also have a horseradish cheese that's really good on reuben sandwiches. I just like to experiment with all kinds. If you don't like how they turn out, your only out a couple bucks and about a month of wait time.

Comment

Due to super coldness outside, thoughts turned to smoky cheese. Busted out my amazen 5x8 pellet tray, my completely unplugged masterbuilt electric smoker, and some Sams club cheese blocks. 3 hrs later and viola! Could not wait a month, only waited a week. Irish cheddar, Irish ballyshannon , and Gruyere. Could not be easier. Made 3 trays as seen in photo. Gave away a lot as gifts, but my wife snagged all the gruyuere , I am hoping for smoked cheese dip out of that deal. Mmmmmm cheese.
              Attached Files

Comment

rapinau , Pics look great, cheese sounds Scrumptious!!!
                Dang, Son!!!
                Where'd ya source out th' Irish cheeses at? I wants me some!!!

Comment

After smoking the cheese, do you have to vaacum seal it? Is a tight plastic wrap good enough?

I just got an Amazen Maze but I really don't want to spend $130 or so on a vaacum sealer right now.

Comment

• Atalanta
                    Atalanta commented
                    Editing a comment
                    IMO it's worth the investment. FoodSaver is having a sale right now and free shipping.I'd go with the starter kit for $70.

• GadjetGriller
                    GadjetGriller commented
                    Editing a comment
                    in a pinch I have used that cling wrap worked ok. or and this is just a suggestion I have not tried this. you could use zip lock bags and the water submersion trick (used a lot for Sous Vide) Don't know that that would give you a good enough seal though?

• GadjetGriller
                    GadjetGriller commented
                    Editing a comment
                    (put the cheese in a zip lock bag submerge the bag in water all the way up to just under the zip lock seal then close. The water pushes out all the air and you get a vacuum sealed "LOOK" may be worth a try?)

rapinau That looks amazing! I would love to find some of that Irish cheese! Looks great! I really do believe the foodsaver is a great investment but if you have to wait to buy one, I think just good saran wrap really tight will suffice until you can get one. We use ours for everything!

Comment

Also, I have found that cutting your own bags is the cheapest way to go. Walton's has 11" x 50' rolls for $13.00. That really lasts a long time and I think way cheaper than zip lock bags.

Comment

Atalanta Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here