Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Cheese Sammies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Cheese Sammies

Who's got a killer recipe? For some reason I've got a major hankering for a big old grilled cheese sandwich. Grilled, pan cooked, whatever, what can you offer up?

Texas toast, smoked gouda and american cheese and a cast iron skillet.

Butter the bread, add the cheese, heat your cast iron skillet to med-high heat and let it rip. (let the skillet heat soak for a few mins. to make sure its fully heated.

Once cooking, I check the edges of the toast to see when its browning. If you can lift the toast with out it bending, its ready to flip.

Comment

Good bread. Good cheese (not processed). Melt butter in pan, then put bread/sandwich on top of butter melting in pan. Toast/brown that side of the bread/sandwich. Butter the other side while that's cooking. Flip over. Toast/brown that side. Perfectly simple grilled cheese when the cheese is melted and the bread is browned.

Of course, you can always jazz it up with avocado and chicken and bacon!

I just now told my wife that next week we are doing grilled cheese. Thanks for your post which reminds me of my love of grilled cheese!

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes BACON. To me bacon with almost any cheese grilled on almost whatever bread works for you is the deal. BACON

Since I'm from the land of cheese, have ya'll got me jazzed for a Great Grilled Cheese sandwich. I think I'm going to try a few cheeses. I really like Spinaker's recommendation of Texas toast. Yeah baby. I really think you just need a little imagination and run with it. Ribeyeguy, go wild with it & we do want pics.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        The streets in Sconi are paved with cheese.

Butter, butter, cheddar cheese (plus any others suggested above) and a good cast iron bacon press.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oooh yeah, don't forget the press!

I'm a firm believer in fried eggs on grilled cheese. I also really like a generous glop of Dijon mustard on the inside next to the cheese. Chives and chopped hot peppers are always delicious options, and the cheese must be very, very sharp.

Are you a dipper? I'm a fan of KC style Q sauce with some hot sauce mixed in.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        So a fried egg sandwich with cheese on it.... not a grilled cheese?

I occasionally add some beef bologna to my grilled cheese. Another grilled cheese I like is swiss on rye grilled with the aforementioned butter.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        So when you add bologna is it a grilled bologna with cheese sandwich or a grilled cheese?

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Call it what you want Nate - I'm not talking - I'm stuffing it in my face...

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        A CI skillet and a little grease. Make sure to slit that bologna slice, to keep it from curling up. Add gov't commodity cheese, and I'm back in my grandma's kitchen. (and don't forget a glass of TANG).

If I were making one right now, I would use Texas toast, generously buttered with cheddar, pulled brisket point, bacon bits (real bacon, not that pink junk that grows in a plastic jar) and lightly sprinkle cinnamon on the top side before you flip it. Mom made those (minus the brisket) when I was a youngun and I still like them today. Different subject, but try cinnamon on pepperoni pizza, it's yummy!

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        So what you are saying is some sort of brisket french toast (without the egg)... not a grilled cheese?

• AZRedneck
        AZRedneck commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a grilled sammich with cheese to hold it all together. Try it Nate, I dare ya. :-)

This is a comfort food for me that needs no altering. Wonder bread, butter, Kraft American cheese. I appreciate the "adult versions" of the grilled cheese, but the one I make is from my childhood, and there are no alterations needed for me when I want my old favorite. Oh, and the Campbells Tomato soup with it is nice but not required.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah.....don't forget a slice of KAC in the soup too!

• lschweig
        lschweig commented
        Editing a comment
        What's KAC?

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Kraft American Cheese!

I'm going to have to side with Shane Rakow here....

Plain old white (maybe honey wheat) bread, butter, and Kraft Singles (let's not get into the debate about that being cheese or not again).... light to medium brown on each side.... Comfort food indeed....

Now occasionally I will throw in the skillet buttered bread, swiss or american, and a big old slice of ham between the two pieces of cheese.... but i view that more as a hot ham and cheese.....

I feel like if you are adding more than cheese, butter, and bread you are making a panini or some other type of grilled/toasted sandwich.

Comment

Sourdough bread and use mayonnaise instead of butter, you get a crisper toast on the sammie, cheese of choice, bacon and a slice of tomato.

Comment

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          The mayonnaise is pretty durned good, but I still like butter best as it tastes more like my childhood days and after all we are talking about comfort food.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          I mix butter and mayo 50/50. I need to compare it to all mayo and all butter.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Brewmaster - going to give the mayo on bread a try.

i really like pickle slices sweet or dill mustard too

Comment

Why go through all that work just grab a couple of slices of bread and spread some mayo on them and slap a piece or two of cheese on them and enjoy. No skillet to wash 😊

Comment

For the Campbell's soup made with one can of milk, of course. We like to cut bread into cubes, fry them with lots of butter, garlic salt, pepper, oregano. It does take a while to fry them without burning, but well worth the effort as low temps are a must. Add the fried tasties to the soup and along with the grilled cheese sammie and you are good to go.

You will need more bread than you originally think as they are so tasty.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Ohhh, fried seasoned bread. I like the sound of that!

• lschweig
              lschweig commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep they are mighty fine and thanks to my DW for teaching me that trick.

Ok, I mentioned this once on my FB Page and clearly upset people, divided families, and created a firestorm of untold proportion. So you are warned what I am about to say is very controversial. A grilled cheese sandwich consists only of bread, cheese, and butter. Once you add anything else it ceases being a grilled cheese and becomes a grilled sandwich with cheese.

Comment

• Cheef
              Cheef commented
              Editing a comment
              What if one were to use RYE bread?

• Obi-Dan
              Obi-Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              lschweig I think last sentence makes sense.

Cheef I am down with rye bread

To all, you all are much more excepting of my narrow definition of a grilled cheese than my FB friends. That thread went on for days.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Cheef - if you use rye, try swiss for the cheese.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here