Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Pepper Jelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Pepper Jelly

On another thread we were discussing peanut butter and jelly, and somebody mentioned hot pepper jelly. I've never tried it with PB, but as an appetizer it's great poured over a brick of cream cheese and then served with water crackers or other snack cracker of your choice as a spread. Delicioso!

HOT PEPPER JELLY

1 1/2 cups hot peppers (including seeds), chopped
    1/4 cup seeded sweet peppers, chopped
    1 1/4 cups vinegar, divided
    6 cups sugar
    8 oz. liquid pectin (Certo)
    Few drops green or red food coloring, as appropriate

Prepare 6 8-oz. canning jars.

Puree hot and sweet peppers in food processor or blender along with 1/4 cup vinegar until "liquefied." Pour into heavy saucepan and add remaining 1 cup of vinegar. Bring to a boil.

Add sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.

Stir and add pectin and food coloring. Return to boil, stirring constantly.

Pour into jars to within 1/4 inch of top. Seal and invert jars for a few minutes. Then, set upright to cool.

Love me some Pepper Jelly, Thanks for posting!!

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      You bet. My pleasure.

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      De nada. Thank you for reminding me of it.

gcdmd -- Sounds very good. No hot water bath to seal and preserve???

Comment

Skip I don't claim to be a canning expert, but apparently that's not uncommon with preserves and jellies. The high sugar content inhibits bacterial growth. The acidity of the fruit is also a factor in killing the botulism organism (Clostridium botulinum). Inverting the jars is key in the sealing. You can do a sterilizing bath if you wish. I do sterilize the jars before filling. The boiling of the jelly mixture also kills bacteria.

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the easy recipe and reply to my question. I'm out of hot peppers right now but will probably be trying this in the future.

I make a habenero jelly when we get large amounts of peppers in the late summer. It is very versital. Mix a little pineapple in and you have a pretzel dip. My favorite is jelly on pulled pork sandwiches. Goes very good in store fry too. Word to the wise when making this stuff. Be careful.

Comment

gcdmd an' all y'all :try it with th' peanut butter, an' pulled pork!!! Yummylicious!!!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...682#post266682

Jus' found this thread t'night...

Thanks fer yer receipt!!!

Enjoy!!!

Comment

I use Tabasco and cayenne mixed with red bell pepper no food coloring. Have made a batch with just habanero could not find to many that would eat it

Comment

To weigh in on the nanny side: My Mom made wonderful jelly her whole life--80 years. My fave was pomegranate! She never did a boiling water bath and further, she just sealed the top with a layer of melted parafin. No one ever got sick. Nonetheless, the Ball canning folks advise against this and recommend a boiling water bath or pressure cooking for all canned stuff, including jellies.

A sort-of-related true story. A neighbor had canned some high acid foods the "right" way, in a boiling water bath. Then, she decided to can some green beans--very low acid and requiring a pressure cooker. She just assumed all foods were canned the same and did the standard boiling water bath. No one got sick--the jars blew up one night some time later. Heck of a mess.

If you want to get into serious canning, buy and read CAREFULLY the "Ball Blue Book" on home canning--$6 or $7 and available most anywhere canning jars and equipment are sold.

Edit Add-on: +1 on the pepper jelly, gcdmd
            Last edited by Willy; February 3, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Try the hot pepper jelly on a cracker with cream cheese and smoked salmon, did this by accident ( consumed to much liquid barley) and it was a hit with everyone at the table

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Oooooooooo that sounds killer. I used to find the best and the worst combos when I was all loose at about 3 am......

This is perfect for slathering all over ribs towards the end of a cook. It takes them to the next level!!

Comment

Love pepper jellys. Here is a recipe I did this past fall using a small batch of Ghost Peppers. I was fearful it would be too hot but the mix of Ghosts and bell peppers along with the vinegar and sugar - just right. Was a big hit with my kids visiting from out of town. Cleaned me out!!!! Took most of the jars back with them

Ghost Pepper Jelly

3 (or 4) Ghost Peppers
                3 Bell Peppers - I used 2 orange and 1 red to try to keep the color close to what Ghost Peppers color is
                2 cups vinegar
                6 cups sugar
                3 oz liquid pectin

Take 1 cup of the vinegar and all the peppers and puree in a blender
                Pour the puree into a large saucepan (I mean large, this stuff boils up fast and high)
                Add the other 1 cup of vinegar and sugar

Bring to a rolling boil for 10 mins. stirring all the time
                Stir in the pectin and do the rolling boil for 1 minute

Ladle into jelly jars leaving ~ 1/4" space. Put on caps and process in a boiling water bath for 10 min.

Note:
                1) Wear gloves...
                2) I did the blender and boil in my garage. I have a short propane burner I use for beermaking. The fumes are pretty strong coming from the blender, mellowed out a bit during the boil
                3) I show 3 (or 4) Ghost Peppers. The ratio of Ghost to Bell is an inexact science. Next time I am going to measure (like gcdmd has in his recipe). I will say that the 3 Ghost to 3 medium bell peppers made a great tasting, pretty warm with a nice after burn jelly. Most of the folks that tried it are not chili heads and loved it. Next time I might try 4 Ghost to kick it up a notch
                4) If you pour the puree into a pot and it comes up 1/2 way.... get a bigger pot!!! When the rolling boil takes off it seems to multiply 3X-4X it's volume!!!! Like in beer making, I had a boil over. Glad I was in the garage ;-)

The last jar :-(

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost Jelly.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	270708

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

• Wilyote
                  Wilyote commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fire in a jar.

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the garage--LOL. I did a pepper sauce using 12 habaneros in the house. Nearly choked to death!

What to do on a snowy early spring day??

Make up a batch of that Ghost Pepper Jelly

I didn't have any fresh Ghosts, but about a dozen dried (and not smoked). I followed the advice of a Chili Head - said to roast the dried peppers on a hot skillet for about 1 min, turning often. Then put in a glass bowl and pour some hot water over them. Give em 30 mins to re-hydrate.

Seemed to come out pretty good. I tasted one - still had that fine taste and kick heat!

Name:	Ghost2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	290967
                Used my recipe above (increased the Ghost peppers to 4). I will know in a few days!

Name:	Ghost1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	290968

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here