Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble, ferment jars and yogurt dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble, ferment jars and yogurt dinners

IK, so absolutely NO rhyming. in my imposed lack of activity, I have found that SenbaZuru can keep me still for a little while. SenbaZuru is folding 1000 paper cranes. a very old Japanese tradition. So I have been doing that to keep my hands busy when the rest of my can't do much.

But, I did manage to do something marvelous in the last couple of days. for the first time, ever, I made my own Yogurt. and it was AMAZING! Nope, I'll not be buying that stuff, anymore. This was very easily made by heating milk to 185, cooling to 110 then, in 4 quart canning jars, held at 110 for 24 hours, then hung in a strainer to remove whey and thicken the finishe4d product.

it is OH SO good! Rich and creamy like the best cream cheese but with flavor, a wonderful sour tang from the fermentation. a wonderful sour that made me think of lemon flavor without the citrus notes. I had some with some strawberries at lunch. tomorrow, I'm going to do a little Dill weed and Lemon and some cucumber grated and made cucumber sandwiches. next thing is to use this to make cheesecake.

of course, I have the whey which can be made into ricotta and then, ricotta pie!!

@Karon Addams, Glad to see you up and arround! My Therapist Evicted Me Last Thurday? Something about I had reached a Plateau I told her that considering I hadn't taken her off Probation but to no avail she threw me out and told me to stay our and not come back?
    Back to Yogurt why not just make Ice Cream? Easier, less work, more nutritious and further more just Tastes Better, IMHOP?
    Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      oh, there WILL be Ice Cream. See the Postman Post I posted.....

Yogurt is one of the best things you can eat for your gut. How did you hold steady at 110 for 24 hours, heating pad?

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      For me, it's sous vide.

Karon Adams I love making yogurt and use the ChefSteps recipe with the Sous Vide hot tub. One thing that I have found is that my lids on the Ball mason jars are now rusting after making it a few times. Not sure if you have had this happen?

Also, are you using whole milk or 2%? I've only used whole milk. The wife and I like it strained, the kids like it unstrained.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      best thing to do about the rust is what we have always done. insulate. some oil, lard, Crisco, something to insulate your metal from the water.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      I use Whole milk. HWMO likes his yogurt unstrained (and he eats more of it than I) I like it about half strained if I am eating it as yogurt on its own, like a dish of yogurt with fruit. I like it well strained almost to the thickness of cream cheese and used for cucumber sandwiches.

I've been making yogurt for about 40 yrs. Don't know much about temps, sous vide, chef steps, or yogurt makers et al. I was taught by my wife's grandmother, who was from Lebanon.
    I take a pot, put a half gallon or 1 gallon of milk in it. Bring it to a rolling boil, you have to watch it. Then, turn the heat off & wait til it cools to the point that you can stick your pinky (up to the first knuckle) into the milk & you can count to one thousand five or seven. You then take some culture, (plain yogurt, it can be Greek, but must be plain) about 3 TBSP & mix a tbsp or 2 of the milk into the culture in a small bowl, then add to the milk. Then take the pot put a lid on it. Put a pot holder on a chair or counter or a good spot out of the way. Set the pot on the holder & cover the pot with the best winter parka or such & leave it over night. Next morning, voila! Yogurt!
    You can than strain the yogurt with some cheese cloth to eliminate some of the whey. At this point you may think you may have to much. The answer is never. If you have had some left over after a couple of weeks, you can then put it in some cheese cloth & hang it from the faucet for a few hrs and make what is called Labani, it's like cream cheese.
    One can use whole milk or 2% , which ever the consistency you desire. I prefer whole milk. If you want a lush thick ooh la la yogurt, add a pint of half & half to a half gal or a quart to gal, heaven!
    It really is simple to make without gadgets and special tools & thigamajobs. All you need is a pot, a lid, & a good winter coat. Enjoy!

Ps. About once every 4 or 6 yrs I'll have a batch not "take". Remedy, do it over.
    Last edited by FireMan; April 14, 2016, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know the thing about the jars stuff. We just have it in a big bowl & have lid on it, plastic so there is no rusting of whatever. That sounds to complicated to put it in little containers. Keep it simple!

• Don Jr
      Don Jr commented
      Editing a comment
      One of my coworkers is part Lebanese and just told me two weeks ago how he makes yogurt and it was almost word for word what you just described (the pinky method and adding plain yogurt).

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Don, maybe they are related! I have done the hang drain for a long time. I also like to do it to make lemon cheese. same prep but, instead of putting in culture, stir in fresh squeezed lemon juice. YUMMY! Whey is great for smoothies or to feed to dogs if you don't want it.

There is tons of stuff one can do with homade yogurt. You can use it almost anywhere sour cream is used. A great Arabic dish is chunked cukes with a little seasoning in a bowl of yogurt. I will use it instead of milk when I eat cereal. Let your imagination go.
    I've seen it used in a lot of Indian meat dishes, yes, grilled meats such as lamb.

Comment

I've been making my own, too. I love it and now the sweetened, thickened product that is sold in stores no longer tastes good to me. The tang is the thing!

My "recipe" differs slightly (showing that the process is flexible)--Heat to 180F, cool to 116F, add the starter, pour into quart canning jars, cover (Ball jar lids), and let stand at 116F overnight. I put my jars in a pot of 116F water with an Anova unit. The jar lids can go on quite tightly as the culturing process yields no excess gas.

Breakfast now is homemade granola, topped with fruit (pineapple is superb, as are grapes and mangoes), then covered in yogurt, and topped with a healthy dash a cinnamon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here