Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missed the boat, smoked queso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed the boat, smoked queso

So smoked cream cheese is the new thing, but I've had an idea for a while and I hope to share this weekend now that smoked queso is so last month

I have a few different meats I'm floating about, but I'm thinking I'm gonna do pulled beef with a chuckie

Here's where I need your help, the rest of the ingredients are limited by color.

1. Green
    Thinking jalapeno, poblano, and cilantro (need a few other green ideas that are complimentary to the flavor profile)

2. White
    This is obviously gonna be the cheese. I'm thinking Mexican melting cheeses. Also some white onion (what else could compliment melted cheese dip that are white)

3. Red
    Diced tomato, maybe some bell pepper?

Red is my biggest concern, I don't want too much tomato in my queso. But I'm open to any color based ingredient inputs. Ideally I'll shop Friday and share by Sunday I've seen plenty of variations of smoked queso recipes on social media the last few weeks, but haven't seen anyone do what I have in my head.

Can you find Hatch Green Chile? You can find it diced in a small can, sometimes frozen. I don’t know if they make canned red chile, but I like your red bell pepper add, will you stay with raw or char them up then dice? I’m like you - tomato?? Meh. I could go with out it but that’s me. If anything, I’d add a bit of my favorite salsa in place of the tomato.

Cilantro - I dont know if I’ve seen that added to queso before. Maybe chopped and added as a topping but not in the queso itself.

Should be fun! Enjoy and can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      sorry should have mentioned I'm trying to stay 100% fresh ingredients. But the local Mexican shop might have some hatch chiles

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Someone was asking about using sun dried tomato's in a recipe, this may be just the ticket.
      Preferably the ones not stored in olive/vegetable oil.

1. chives?
    2. Possibly some softened roasted garlic clove pieces (mmm, so mild and delicious when softened); cheese suggestions- cotija cheese, and/or queso fresco
    3. no idea

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Neither of those cheeses really melt in the way you want for a queso dip. You can actually make a pretty good cacio y pepe using Cotija, though.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right, but I meant it as an add-in, perhaps for texture, not as the bulk of the melted cheese. Wasn't clear from how I typed it though mnavarre

How about some red Fresno chiles?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to say the same.

1). Mexican oregano? I am the rare breed that cilantro tastes like soap. Fire roasted green bell pepper.
    2). I like huskee’s idea, roasted garlic.
    3). Like above, fire roasted red bell pepper. Without fear of it being mushy, what about some pimentos? Also red/purple onion if you skip the white onion.

Comment

I’m thinking HouseHomey can help you out here.
      He’s is amazing with flavor profiles.

Comment

For red don't forget about chipotle in adobo sauce, loads of flavor and a bit of heat.

Instead of green bell peppers I almost always substitute fire roasted Anahiem chiles, did that tonight with beef fajitas.

Also don't for get about fire roasted tomatillos for part of a green sauce, some yummy stuff that........and lime, don't leave out lime in any of them.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          Not sure tomatillo would fit the flavor profile I'm going for, but definitely something I have planned down the road with a similar theme salsa platter I have in my head.

1 Green: Green Onions / Shallots
        2. White:Garlic, Jicama
        3. Red: Pimiento

Comment

Smoked Queso.
          (1) Smoked Queso - YouTube

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            Editing a comment
            I have a general recipe in mind, but as usual with me I'm doing something I haven't seen anywhere

Here is a recipe JoeSousa posted awhile back that looks pretty good. It is on my long long list of things to try:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...th-real-cheese
          Last edited by klflowers; July 21, 2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

This might be a stretch for red, and it would majorly alter the character of the queso, but salmon?

A red berry or skin on apples would take it in a sweeter direction??

Cauliflower for white??

Green: Pistachios, Broccoli, Spinach
            Last edited by Murdy; July 21, 2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Some of us were smoking quest before it was a "thing." I use Guyere in my mix for a melty touch. Lots of good options above.

Comment

How about diced scallions (the whole thing). That bridges the green/white spectrum.

Comment

Thanks for all your ideas, a few I will use next time but I solved my issue by loading meat and cheese on the bottom thicker in the spots where I had less colors to work with... pretty happy how this turned out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_110710.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	1066294

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here