Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not falling for this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not falling for this.

Question: What are San Marzano Style tomatoes?
    Answer: Not San Marzano Tomatoes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBxCTGs.png
Views:	283
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	995832

The word "Style" says it all.......pass!

Comment

Well, see, the picture of the tomatoes, their stylish shape & color is what makes it. Then you have the word, when it’s really big it stands out. And mebbee some scientist in a lab mixed some spices & chemicals together & it even tastes like em.
      AND you save $2.00. I mean 50%, wow!
      Last edited by FireMan; February 26, 2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I learned from Alton Brown that no San Marzano tomato is truly San Marzano unless it has "D.O.P." on the label. Meaning it's in imported product from Italy.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, as far as i know there are no regulations in the US about DOP so companies can freely add DOP to the label, unlike organic etc which has an (ever expanding) list of acceptabilities. This may be outdated or not but i remember researching it a bit when i got into a really dumb argument about champagne.
          Last edited by grantgallagher; February 26, 2021, 02:32 PM.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I like Cento brand, and on their cans there's a lot number you can type into a program they have on their website that takes you to a Google image of the field in Italy where your tomatoes were grown. I think that's pretty cool. I don't know it they're D.O.P. certified, but when you can see Mt Vesuvius in the background it's close enough for me.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Bottom line don’t be a DOPE? Or that this post is DOPE? Oh look there’s a puppy !!!

I'm sure there was no stylin in the 20,000 gallon vat they were concocted in.

Comment

OMG, my wife bought a couple of cans of those last week. I tried one, then threw the other one away. Just awful! We grow and can San Marzanos here and I've done a couple of side-by-side comparisons with true SM's and prefer ours. Very similar, with ours perhaps a little more acidic. I attribute that to the 2 TBSP of lemon juice my wife uses when canning to lower the ph.

Comment

I grow "san marzanos" in my yard every year. Do i care that they are not "authentic" san marzanos...nope. Are they supposedly genetically similar enough for me to think it might make a difference...yup. Do they make delicious sauce...yup. Only one of those things really matters, lol.

Comment

Could be tomatoes from seeds taken from the San Marzano region (which is likely to be recognizably different from the real thing (and not necessarily in a good way)) or like Cento, tomatoes grown just barely outside the legally recognized surveyed boundary of the official San Marzano region in Italy (which is just fine).

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                If you're in the shadow of Mt Vesuvius you're probably close enough. I think the reason ours taste so similar is due to our proximity to Mt Shasta. Our latitude, elevation, and growing season are a bit different, but we share a Mediterranean style climate and very volcanic soil. Whatever the reason, our homegrowns stack up pretty well to the real deal.
                Last edited by CaptainMike; February 26, 2021, 05:33 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ED173A4D-0042-48D0-A3CC-9905561063E3.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	995969

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                They turn into a great sauce.

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice score!! Do you hand crush them a la Marcella Hazan? The best part is licking your fingers afterwards. Best tasting fingers ever!!

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                CaptainMike yes, I do!

Check out episode 1 of Stanley Tucci, Looking for Italy, on CNN. He visits the real San Marzano tomato grower.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll do that.

Those look like regular Roma or plum tomatoes to me.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                They essentially are. San Marzano is the growing region. Much like the Boudreaux or Napa Valley regions are to wine, the SM region is to tomatoes. BION, there is a difference. Winemakers call it "terroir" and it basically has to do with the soil and climate of a growing region. Hatch Chilies fall into that description as well.

Just like "American Kobe". Means nothing but more expensive.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
                TheQuietOne commented
                Editing a comment
                This I believe. It's like the wine tasting tests where they've done things like sticking an expensive label on a cheap bottle. People tasting it perceive it to be better. Add color to a white wine and people can't tell it from a red. I'd love to see more double blind or at least single blind testing of food and drink. I think a lot of people's beliefs of what tastes better would come tumbling down.

I've used them a couple of times. They are pretty nice but they are what they are.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here