Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rutabaga Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use rutabagas like potatoes in things like stews -- they kind of occupy the same niche for appearance and texture, although the flavor is a bit different. I agree with the comments that they take longer to cook to tender than potatoes do.

They also don't break down as easily as potatoes as they cook. That's good if you want intact bites of veg, but not so good if you want to thicken the gravy or broth.

Creamy Root Vegetable Soup

Makes 3-4 quarts

1/4 cup butter
    1 medium onion, diced
    2-3 celery ribs (3-4 oz), sliced thinly
    2 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
    1/2 lb carrots, peeled, sliced
    2 lb combined weight of parsnips, rutabaga, and/or turnips, peeled, sliced
    2-3 lb potatoes, peeled, sliced. Use all russets OR 1/2 russets + 1/2 sweet potatoes
    32 oz (4 c) chicken broth or as needed
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 to 1 c half-and-half OR whole milk
    Salt and pepper

Slice all vegetables into bite-size pieces to reduce cooking time. Slice the celery thinly to keep the "strings" short so they will not affect the texture of the soup.

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven. Add onion and celery. Cook until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook briefly.

Add all root vegetables, broth, and bay leaf. Add extra broth as needed to almost cover the veggies. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are very tender. Discard bay leaf.

Blend until smooth with a regular blender (smoother texture) or stick blender (chunkier texture).

Off heat, stir in milk or cream. Do NOT boil after adding dairy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve hot, garnished with bacon bits, diced green scallion, and/or sour cream.

Freeze in 4-cup portions as a main dish meal for 2 people. The soup may "break" after freezing. If it does, whisk or stick blend until the texture is smooth.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Way to teach that young man, Mom!!!

• Jakerpancaker
      Jakerpancaker commented
      Editing a comment
      This sounds incredible! If Covid wasn’t around i’d steal this for the annual "souper bowl" contest. Definitely trying this soon, thank you!

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Son Devin's tweak was using some sweet potatoes rather than all russet potatoes. The sweets give the soup a creamier texture. Also we've tried heavy cream and it's too rich. Half and half or just whole milk has a cleaner taste.

These, parsnips etc I like 3 different ways:

1) cubed and roasted. then either eaten as is with butter and herbs (as a side) or mashed/pureed as a substitute for potatoes.

2) Sliced very thin and dressed with something tangy but you need younger versions of the root here. Thicker ones tend to be tough.

3) Sliced thin or julienned and pickled.

Comment

• Jakerpancaker
      Jakerpancaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I love anything pickled so I’ll be interested to taste the rutabaga and imagine it pickled. I’m sure it’s great, thank you!

You couldn't pay me to try this myself (it's a childhood repetitive rutabaga-induced trauma thing) but it seems like one place to start:

Comment

Texas Larry we made the gratin and it was phenomenal. Thank you for the recipe!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here