Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rutabaga Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rutabaga Recipes?

I’m wondering if anyone has a good recipe or way they enjoy cooking rutabaga? I can’t say I’ve ever eaten rutabaga but that’s about to change. I’m seeing a lot online about roasting, mashing, or making fries so I’m assuming it’ll be a similar taste to a tater.

Figured I’d post this and see if anyone has a good recipe or thoughts on this mysterious root.

My mother would eat rutabaga and all sorts of the other veggies that no one else eats. She just ate it raw as far as I remember.
    A farm girl.

Comment

• Jakerpancaker
      Jakerpancaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a tough woman. My buddy was saying his great grandmother would just boil it and dump sugar on it for a meal.

Rutabaga! Reminds me when I used to watch Chopped - seemed they always had rutabaga in that basket! Like you said, I think they would always mash or put it in the blender and then cook it some way.

On that note, I’ve never used it in my cooking, but perhaps this inspires me to give it a try!

Comment

Call any vegetable & the chances are good,
      oooh! the vegetable will respond to you!
      Last edited by FireMan; January 13, 2021, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        What am I missing, I don't follow.
        I sing to the trees, but they never listen to me.

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        Rutabaga,rutabaaga..FZ rules!

There are very few foods that I actually, legitimately, really, really, hate ... and now that someone’s use of the dreaded "R" word has dragged that particular childhood nightmare out of the dark place I keep such things buried, I’m going to have to find a way to calm myself. Perhaps if I sit facing the wall, rocking gently back and forth while quietly chanting "redrum" over and over, I’ll start to feel better in a couple or three days ......

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        My same thoughts on turnips

• Jakerpancaker
        Jakerpancaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha. Didn’t mean to trigger the ptsd!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Perhaps I should try them to hat them also.
        My guess they will not pair with PBR?

We usually get rutabagas several times a year in our CSA basket. As you suggested, roasting is good. Since there are usually lots of root veggies around the same time, we like a simple salad topped with lots of different roasted root veggies: rutabaga, beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips, etc. I also put them into stir fries and curries--peeled and cut thin, they take a bit longer than some other veggies to cook through.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like a great roast of veg! I am going to try rutabaga this summer. I like roasted veg, so time to give it a try in a roasted root veg mix like this.

• Jakerpancaker
        Jakerpancaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great thanks! Also came from our CSA with some beets so I may put some aside to try with a salad. The CSA is great but you’re subjected to what they have. I’ve eaten enough butternut squash recently to last a lifetime.

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Jakerpancaker Heh. I've discovered some very interesting recipes just by googling the strange combo of CSA items I have on hand. Lots of folks have been there before us...

Haven't done them for a while, but I would simply boil them until soft, add salt and pepper then throw them in the food processor until smooth

Comment

I put rutabagas, turnips, and parsnips in the same category: root vegetables that are good, but that I don’t reach for because I like something else better.

I used to cook turnips and carrots together, then mash them with salt, pepper, and butter. Carrots and rutabagas would probably taste about the same.

Comment

I would rather drink MOGEN DAVID 20/20

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that is disdain....

somehow i had avoided rutabaga my entire 47-year existence until last spring. I signed up for Masterclass and one of the Thomas Keller classes was roasting a chicken on top of a bunch of root vegetables, including rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, leeks, and potatoes. Incredibly simple meal but man was it delicious. I have made it again a few times since. Sometimes the simplest preparations are the best.

Comment

Like em. Roasted & in stews and .....

And when ever I here the name rutabaga I break out singin rutabaay ayga.......... never mind.

Comment

Learned to eat and really enjoy rutabagas on(swedes) living in the UK. Only problem with them now is I can rarely find them. Here is one recipe we like from Cooks Country:

Root Vegetable Gratin

Sides, Vegetables, Vegetarian
              Servings: 6 to 8

Ingredients:
              1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 cups water
              1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
              2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
              Salt and pepper
              2/3 cup dry white wine
              1/2 cup heavy cream
              1/2 onion, chopped fine
              1 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
              1 garlic clove, minced
              2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick
              1 large celery root (1 pound), peeled, quartered, and sliced 1/8 inch thick
              1 pound rutabaga, peeled, quartered, and sliced 1/8 inch thick
              3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
              1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
              4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Directions:
              WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: Our root vegetable gratin pairs the earthy flavor of potatoes with thinly sliced sweet rutabaga and savory celery root. We allow these flavors to come to the fore by adding just a few aromatics: onion, garlic, thyme, and Dijon mustard. We add white wine to the gratin because the wine’s acidity strengthens the pectin in the potatoes so that they remain intact while the denser, less-starchy rutabaga and celery root cook through; the wine also brightens the flavor of the vegetables. To help the top layers of the gratin cook through at the same rate, we cover the dish for the first portion of the cooking time. A layer of Parmesan-enhanced panko bread crumbs added after the foil is removed toasts while the gratin finishes cooking, adding a crispy, golden crust that is nutty and cheesy in flavor.
              1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Whisk 1 tablespoon water, mustard, flour, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in medium bowl until smooth. Add wine, cream, and remaining 1 1/2 cups water; whisk to combine. Combine onion, thyme, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in second bowl.
              2. Layer half of potatoes in prepared dish, arranging so they form even thickness. Sprinkle half of onion mixture evenly over potatoes. Arrange celery root and rutabaga slices in even layer over onions. Sprinkle remaining onion mixture over celery root and rutabaga. Layer remaining potatoes over onions. Slowly pour water mixture over vegetables. Using rubber spatula, gently press down on vegetables to create even, compact layer. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until knife inserted into center of gratin meets no resistance, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
              3. While gratin bakes, combine panko, Parmesan, and butter in bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove gratin from oven and sprinkle evenly with panko mixture. Continue to bake until panko is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Remove gratin from oven and let stand for 25 minutes. Serve.

Source: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...arch_results_2

Comment

• Jakerpancaker
                Jakerpancaker commented
                Editing a comment
                This sounds delicious! Definitely trying this one since we have everything. Thank you!

They're a staple in a long-time family recipe for beef stew. Tomatoes, rutabaga, carrot, potatoes, celery, onion, beef stock/bouillon, bay leaves, red wine/dark beer and water, s&p to taste. Use whatever proportions you feel like!

Comment

One word of warning - use a sharp knife and steady hands. Those things can be an absolute bear to cut up, especially if you have a whole one to start.

Comment

• Jakerpancaker
                  Jakerpancaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ll keep this in mind and sharpen the knife before cutting. Thank you!

We also found rutabagas regularly in Cornish pasties like this one:

Ingredients:
                Pasty Filling:
                1 beef bouillon cube
                1/2 cup hot water
                5 1/2 cups diced potatoes
                2 medium carrots
                1 medium onion
                1/2 cup finely diced rutabaga or turnip
                1 pound lean ground beef
                1/2 pound lean ground pork
                1 teaspoon black pepper
                1 1/2 teaspoons salt
                Tomato ketchup
                Pasty Crust:
                4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
                1 teaspoon salt
                1 cup solid vegetable shortening or lard
                1 1/3 cups chilled water

Directions:
                Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
                Make Pasty Crust.
                In a large bowl, dissolve beef bouillon cube in hot water. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, rutabaga, ground beef, ground pork, pepper, and salt; gently stir until well mixed.
                Place 1 1/2 cups of vegetable filling in the center of each rolled dough rectangle; bring short (6-inch) sides together and seal by crimping edges together. Makes 3 or 4 small slits in the top of the pasty to allow steam to escape during cooking.
                Place pasties onto a large ungreased baking sheet. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown; remove from oven.
                Can be served warm, but real Michiganities eat their pasties cold with tomato ketchup. they make a great sack lunch and freeze well.
                Makes 6 pasties.
                Making the crust:
                In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut vegetable shortening into flour mixture until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle in water, a little at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry dough almost cleans side of bowl. Form dough into a ball and cut dough into 6 sections.
                On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out each section into 6 x 8-inch rectangles. Fill and bake as directed in recipe.

Source: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...tory/Pasty.htm

Comment

• Jakerpancaker
                  Jakerpancaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow this sounds great too.. There's a good chance I get more in a few weeks so i'm going to keep this in my back pocket.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here