Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meyer Lemon Bumper Crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meyer Lemon Bumper Crop

Not my most exciting post ever, but just wanted to point once again to the fact that things are grown bigger in Texas. My neighbor and I have competing fruit trees. I have a Filipino Calamansi tree, about 25' high and he as an equally large Meyer lemon tree. We share our Calamansis with everyone and anyone who wants them, that tree literally produces fruit by the hundreds all year long. For those who don't know, a Calamansi is about an inch to an inch and a half diameter citrus fruit that is best described as a cross between an orange and a lime. Great for cooking and marinades.

A Meyer lemon, on the other hand, produces most of its fruit in the fall and into early winter, although he does get some year round. I usually get more than I want since he too tries to give away the copious amounts of fruit. This year, even more so than in the past, the fruit have grown to almost ridiculous size. Some have gotten as big as small grapefruits, about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. An average Meyer is typically about 1-1/2 times the size of a normal lemon. Again great for cooking, marinades and general juice making since they are not as acidic or as tart as normal lemons.

Not sure why, in a climate that normally does not produce much citrus we've been so lucky is beyond me. But hey, I'm not complaining. I've seen a lot of orange trees in the area as well, that's next on the list !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	meyer lemons 2021.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	972261

My parents have a lemon tree in southwest Louisiana, they are CONSTANTLY drinking lemonade, freezing lemon-sicles, etc......congrats on the crop!!!

Comment

Those.....are large lemons.

Comment

Florida says hello.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-11 12.57.33.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	972349

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, same size. Of course you would expect that in your neck of the woods !!

Totally jealous, I spent a good 15yrs trying to get a crop in DFW with zero results.. No amount of babying them in the summer or winter seemed to make a difference.

Comment

I freeze whole lemons and I use them to clean the grate after burning it over a fire once the coals have settled just before "Braai-ing". Then toss them onto the coals.

Comment

When we lived in Panama City Beach, FL we had a citrus tree what turned out to be a Hunter grapefruit. The previous owners told us it was a lime tree but never bore fruit. Two years after we bought the house I noticed about three limes growing on the tree, we let it go until late January and they turned yellow about 4 inches in diameter and were not very good. The next year we had about 250 what turned out to be grapefruits, very seedy but the liquid and pith was to die for. The next three years I would bring them to work and the bag would last about 20 minutes, everyone loved them. Just saying the fruit in the pics reminded us of our fantastic grapefruit and the story behind it, thanks.

Comment

OMG, those Meyers!

We think our navel orange tree and neighbors Meyer cross pollinated and created another neighbors tree. You can practically make lemonade without sugar!
              Last edited by SheilaAnn; January 11, 2021, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I can imagine that fruit is really good. My older brother in CA has shared his grapefruit, it has been better than you can find in stores.

Comment

I made batches on batches of lemon jelly. mmm

Comment

My aunt lives in west Houston (almost to Katy) and also had a huge lemon crop this year.

Lemon cello for everyone

Comment

I used to have a lemon tree. It’s now at my ex wife’s house.

Sorry No pics.
                      Cheers!

Comment

I love Meyers lemons, but can't find them in our rural groceries, so when I'm in the big city during the late fall, I watch for them to be in stock. I spent a small fortune this fall buying Meyers lemons maybe half as big as your neighbor's. I squeeze them for juice to freeze and put the peels in everclear for lemon extract. If y'all ever want to ship lemons to Iowa, keep me in mind, wouldja please?

Comment

Love preserved lemons!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                            fzxdoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            OMGoodness, they're the best. I always have a couple of jars of homemade preserved lemons hiding in my china closet. They love the dark.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here