Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banana Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banana Wars

I am a banana fan.
    I just love those things.
    A point of contention in my house is?
    When are they ready to eat?
    My wife likes them GREEN right out of the grocery store.
    I absolutely can't eat a banana until it softens and begins to turn brown. At this point my Wife declares them spoiled and good for nothing except banana bread. (She bakes it and I refuse to eat it because it taste nothing like a banana.)
    What is the consensus on the site as to when a banana is ready to eat?

Kind of a side note?
    I got hooked on bananas while working in West Africa. A lot of places the food was pretty much inedible but there were always stalks of bananas to get you through.
    I ALWAYS had a stalk hanging in my office. They were about 1/3rd the size of what we see in the U.S. but absolutely the best bananas I have ever eaten.

I prefer #3 - #4, to me that's perfect. I can tolerate 5. My brother used to prefer #6 & 7. Yuck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bananas-759x419.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	924965

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I like 3 and 4 is fine too. If my bananas are going south I peel them and freeze them in a plastic bag for smoothies.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      3-4 for me.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      3-4 is what I prefer.

I'm the only one in the house that eats nanas. I vote for 2.5. Sweet flesh with a firm chew. Anything to the right of 3 is only good for cooking/baking.

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      As Gordon Ramsey would say?
      THOSE F***ING BANANAS are RAW!!
      Or something like that.

4 to 5 range here. The better half is 2 to 3.

Comment

This is a question about eating them, right? Hey, somebody had to go there!!

Comment

2.5. A ripe banana induces gagging. Your wife is right, a banana with brown spots, or beyond, is ONLY good for banana bread...or maybe ice cream.

ETA: Or, possibly, bananas Foster.
        Last edited by Willy; October 17, 2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          For me?
          I would never consider eating a #1 shown in that pic.
          Anything below 4 gives me a burning sensation in my mouth.
          Kind of wierd.

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheef. Agreed, a "one" is inedible. So is anything beyond a three. Brown/black equals inedible! ;<)

Sorry, I hate bananas. Anything banana. Yuk. 👎

Comment

Wife and son, 2, 3, 4. I'll do 2, 3, 4, 5 and possibly a 6 as long as it has no fuzz on it.

Comment

I can eat one if I have no other choice, but I don't enjoy them. 3 or 4 are acceptable...

Comment

3 through 5. I've eaten plenty of 6 but it's borderline.

Comment

I could probably go for 2 thru 6. My wife was the banana bread fiend. It got to 7, into the freezer it would go. I shall miss that.

Comment

• Cheef
                  Cheef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @Fireman.
                  my finger hovered over the like button for quite a minute there.
                  I just couldn't push it but do appreciate your chiming in.
                  I'm just kind of imagining what you are going through and sorry.

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My wife's the same, she comes for a place where your wealth is measured by over ripe banana's in the freezer....and we're in the chips!

5,6,7 Banana Bread. oh yah. 3,4 good eating. I put banana 1m 2 on a paper bag to let them ripen.

Comment

I’m really the only one in the house that eats bananas. I’ll eat pretty much 2-7 on that chart, but I don’t eat them plain. I slice these up regardless and serve with yogurt, granola and honey. So, it helps with the really soft texture from those #7s!

Or even on a waffle with some peanut butter and honey!

But, sometimes, they need to be peeled and put into a zipper bag and frozen for banana pancakes!

Comment

4-7 for me, I think they get a deeper banana flavor the older they get...at least up to a certain point that is.

Comment

I eat a banana and I eat it all day, those things repeat on me....not much worse than banana burps....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here