Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pineapple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Pineapple?

Watched three videos on YouTube with people smoking a whole pealed pineapple on their cooker.

It sounds like a great idea.

I didn’t care for any of their techniques.

Has anybody here done this?

One video the guy was trying to inject the pineapple with bourbon. It wasn’t going well for him. I was thinking about marinating the pealed pineapple in bourbon by putting the pineapple in zip top bag, pouring in a cup of bourbon and sucking the air out. Does anybody think the bourbon will flavor the pineapple or would I just be wasting the bourbon.

I thought I would make a sweet heat rub for the pineapple I would apply right before I threw it on my kettle. Brown Sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and a touch of ground clove. Any other suggestions on the rub that would be good for pineapple? Should there be an addition of a dried herb or two?

For the cook I thought I’d cook till just short of probe tender. What type of wood would you all suggest for me to use with my charcoal? I thinking Maple. I’ve read it’s mild and it’s flavor goes well with vegetables.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by ssandy_561; August 8, 2020, 12:20 AM.

Sounds good but overly complicated. Might be good just right on the grill, let some slices pick up a little smoke.
    Yum yum, please post pics !

Comment

I have a hard time imagining the flavor of a smoke infused pineapple.

I tried cooking a pineapple on a gas rotisserie once with bourbon & turbinado sugar and it was indeed overly complicated. I would just put it on the grill next time.

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you tried shish kebab with pineapple skewered on with meat, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion.

OK you are making me hungry.

I also like it on pizza, it is not just in California and Hawaii that this is done, right ?

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't tried that yet but it sounds like a great idea! I think I'll pickup a pineapple the next time I'm at the store!

We do fresh pineapple rings quite often during the summer. 1 inch slices smoke at 225 or so for an hour and then sear them to finish. warm pineapple is awesome. Not much smoke but you can tell it is there.

Comment

I am sure you have seen Malcom Reeds version. I'll bet it would be great on smoke. Have not tried it but I will one day!

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          After watching that pineapple and fireball are now on my shopping list.

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          That does look good

Put it on your smoker and play around! Smoked pineapple is delicious.

Comment

If I was going to try to inject a pineapple, it would be with rum rather than bourbon. Actually never thought of smoking a pineapple but the idea is interesting.

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. Rum would probably go better with the pineapple. I think I might go with a combination of spiced and dark rum.

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            You could call that one "smoked Mai Tai".

zzdocxx may have something there.......Smoke until thirsty, slice off a portion, squeeze liquid over iced glass, drop remaining fruit into glass as garnishment....enjoy! Might be gone before it was finished cooking!

Edited to fill remaining glass with rum....totally forgot the "punch".
          Last edited by Alabama Smoke; August 10, 2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            hahaha !

Hmm, I agree with the 'overly complicated' comments. For one, I'm (personally) not a fan of smoked fruits. The reason is that they are quite 'lean' (no fat), and that means the smoke flavor becomes too 'sharp' for my taste buds. Also, many people want to inject bourbon/rum in the fruit, and even more people smother it with sugar in the form of syrup. The thing is: pineapple is loaded with sugar, so I just grill the heck out of it. The existing fructose will caramelize up the yin-yang, so it's good out of the package so to speak. So, grilled = good. Smoked => not so much.

As for rubs: may I suggest a super simple combo of cinnamon and a light dusting of pepper (pick your preference according to how much heat you like)?

Serve. it with some vanilla ice cream and roasted hazel nuts. That way you get the fruitiness and caramelized sugar flavor from the fruit, the creaminess from the ice cream and the texture from the roasted nuts.

If you insist on adding booze, either flambé that sucker, it's gonna be quite a show for your guests, or just serve up that bourbon/rum in a shot glass on the side.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

I just did pineapple slices this weekend again. I slice it cover it in brown sugar and cinnamon. Please them on a rack and aluminium tray. Smoke for an hour or two. Always a big request.
            I've grilled a lot of carrots, zucchini, and squash over the years. But my next smoke will be with carrots molasses and whatever I can come up with.

Comment

Do whatever you like as long as you don't put it on pizza which is an abomination.

Comment

• zzdocxx
                zzdocxx commented
                Editing a comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here