Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Hatch chiles coming soon -- what to do wit 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Hatch chiles coming soon -- what to do wit 'em?

I have really enjoyed using dried Hatch chiles over the past year, ever since someone here (forgive me; I've forgotten who it is) mentioned them. I purchased the mildest ones -- there's almost no heat to them, but a lot of flavor.

Earlier this year, I placed a pre-order for 5 pounds of fresh green chiles, again the mildest ones. I'm looking forward to receiving them and thought I'd ask for your help.

My mother and grandmothers never used any kind of hot sauce or dried/fresh chiles in cooking back when I was a girl, so I'm not familiar with the classic ways fresh chiles are used. But I'm willing to learn.

What are some of your favorite ways to use fresh chiles? I'm looking for classic recipes for preserving them for later use as well as ways to use these chiles fresh.

Also, do you have a good "dummies" tutorial for charring and steaming chiles to remove the skins? I tried this once and think I failed miserably. I thought I followed the directions -- didn't seem like rocket science -- but it was difficult to remove the skin.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice!

Definitely following this. I believe if you blister them then place in a plastic bag and the the end the skins will loosen after about 5-10 minutes. Then you just slide/peel the skin off.

Comment

They can be used in the place of Anaheim or green chiles or California chiles in recipes. Here's my pork chile and chile verde recipes
      https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ada-pork-chili

I have a standing order every 3 months for the roasted chiles and have had my fresh ones on order or several months.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, that recipe rocks !!!

I'm a HUGE fan of green chiles and true fresh Hatch chiles are the gold standard in my opinion. I started getting 10lbs of Joe Parker (medium heat) Hatch chiles the last couple of years. What I do is roast them on my gasser with the lid up and frequently turn them until they are 2/3 - 3/4 blackened. They don't all lay flat, so they'll be kinda of blotchy with the blackening. Then I vacuum seal them and freeze. I'll package them anywhere from 2 to 5 chile pouches. When you want to use them, just thaw them out and the skin peels right off. I hack off the ends 1/2 - 3/4 inch from the stem (where the majority of the seeds are), peel and then pull open by hand and scrape the remaining seeds off.

The 2 chile packages I make I do for burger toppings. Prep them as above and lay them whole on burgers is an amazing flavor boost. Chop them up and put in enchiladas/burritos/tacos, etc. Amp up your favorite chili recipe. Throw in some scrambled eggs or omelet. Homemade salsa. You can really use them in just about anything where you want to add another flavor layer. Oh and the smell of roasting them is magical!

Comment

Roast them and then freeze in vacuum sealed bags. Then just pull out a bag, thaw, and peel when you need them. I love them to make salsa, chile rellenos, green chile cheese burgers, etc.

Comment

Oh you are in for a treat! Use them anywhere you want! Seriously. They add great flavor to any dish - green chile dip, or a spread, queso...

use them as an add-on or as the main stage! A few above mentioned chile rellenos - I highly suggest this! Make some green chile chicken enchildas. Just chop them up and add it to everything in New Mexico our state question is Red or Green...meaning, chile is on everything just about! Haha.

For the roasting, when I pick these up here in New Mexico, I let them sit in the bag and basically steam for an hour at least. The longer the better. Then you have two ways, either peel and bag and freeze or just bag and freeze with the skin on. Then when you use these, allow to thaw out and just rub the skin off. I usually buy 3 bags so this is how I go about it because it takes to much time to peel 15lbs.

Enjoy the wonderful chile!

Comment

Agree with ColonialDawg. Roast (direct grill high heat) to a good over all char, cool and freeze. Vacuum seal is good but regular zip lock bags with the air squeezed out work just fine. When ready to use, peel while running under very warm water. Depending on how much Chile you buy, roasting can be quite a time consuming process but I promise you the aroma will take you to an entirely new place.

Comment

• Texas Larry
              Texas Larry commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on this approach. Works for us!

Thanks, IowaGirl for starting this thread. I also have my first fresh order coming soon. Thanks also to those of you who gave the needed info on handling. Sounds like yummy days ahead for many of us!

Comment

My. Inlaws bring me a few paper bags worth from new Mexico every year.

I roast and peel them all. Then put snack sized ziplocs full in the freezer. And use all year.
              Last edited by BFlynn; July 7, 2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Grill them up over direct heat and the bag them and freeze them. I will add them when I am making chili or salsa. So, so good.

Comment

I'm tempted to buy this in part for roasting peppers.

https://www.amazon.com/Onlyfire-Univ...142917&sr=8-12

Click image for larger version  Name:	61G7REQAb1L._AC_SL1010_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	876847
                  Last edited by Attjack; July 7, 2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• BFlynn
                    BFlynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    and Freedom Fries! Double win!

We’re big fans too. We roast about 40 lbs a year of the extra hots. We roast them on the grill and then put them in a ziplock bag for10 minutes. Then my wife pulls the stems and removes the skin. We package them 4 chili’s to a packet. They make great pico de gallo.
                  Our freezer quit in October and lost our entire stash. It’s been a long 8 months.
                  Last edited by Randy-Phx; July 7, 2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I pre-ordered awhile back when another thread was discussing them and totally forgot about the order. Now I know what to do with them once the package arrives.

Comment

Hatch Chile Mac and cheese

Comment

• IowaGirl
                        IowaGirl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I buy Bob Evans mac and cheese for quick suppers. I like to dress it up with some Hatch chile powder and whatever's in the fridge -- ham, Canadian bacon, peas, corn, etc. The chile powder adds a nice depth and rich color to the cheese sauce.

• jhapka
                        jhapka commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's a good way to enhance those tubs of mac. A little bland without add-ins. This recipe is killer https://iamnm.com/hatch-green-chile-mac-n-cheese/

I've never had the opportunity to try the fresh chiles but I'm a huge fan of the roasted variety than come in a jar. He's a link to some recipes. https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/pa...recipe-central

They even make a simple grilled cheese sandwich to die for.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here