Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Celeriac with Wild Garlic Aioli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Celeriac with Wild Garlic Aioli

Hello pit masters,

I wanted to to a:
    A) fast cook, and
    B) use vegetables,

so I decided to grill celeriac on my Big Green Egg. I cooked it on high indirect heat for 15 minutes, then gave it a real quick sear for color. But for flavor I marinated them in a 50/50 blend of Japanese soy sauce and Ketjap Manis. I marinated them in a plastic bag in the fridge for 2 hours.

I wanted to serve these Celeriac cubes with a tasty dip, so I made a wild garlic aioli. Aioli is an egg/oil emulsion, and I used my hand blender to whisk it together.

Ingredients - Celeriac
    • 1 celeriac (roughly 750 grams / 26 oz)
    • 3 tbsp ketjap manis
    • 3 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
    Ingredients - Aioli
    • 2 oz wild garlic
    • 2 egg yolks
    • 14 tbsp neutral oil
    • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    • salt (add to taste)
    Instructions - celeriac
    Start by cutting off the rough outer surface of the celeriac and then cube it in 1" cubes.
    Mix the soy sauce and Ketjap manis in a plastic bag and add the celeriac cubes. Tie up the bag and shake it to mix the ingredients. Keep in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
    Fire up the grill, run it at 200° C / 400° F. Smoke the celeriac cubes for 15-20 minutes. Poke them with a knife or fork to see when they are tender enough.

Instructions - Aioli
    Add wild garlic, egg yolks, vinegar in a food processor or tall jar and blend to a smooth puré. Now add the oil in a thin stream, blending continously. Add salt to taste.

Overall this turned out to be a good snack. That garlic dip sure has a kick to it. And the colors are nice. Finger food before the main course!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grilled Celeriac with Wild Garlic Creme_IG.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	846278
    Last edited by Henrik; May 15, 2020, 07:10 AM.

Looks great! Celery root is one of my favorites. I've never tried it on the grill, but I will now.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I have another cook planned with celeriac, where I grill it caveman style and then serve it with smoked butter. Will report back when I've done that one too.

Very interesting. I’ve never thought of grilling celery root or had it. What is the texture like when grilled? Buttery like a sweet potato or fibrous like squash? And what is "neutral oil"? Does that mean non-flavored like canola or vegetable oil?

thanks.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      It has a soft crunchy texture. If you cook it longer it obviously becomes softer. And yes, canola or peanut oil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here