Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garlic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garlic

I grew garlic in my garden the last few years and last year I grew more than we ate and it sprouted on me and I ended up not using it. I do keep it in the dark cool fruit cellar in our house, this year I noticed it sprouting, so I collected about 60 cloves today and ran it through the Vita mixer and now I have a pale yellow paste. I should have listened to my wife and used the chopper. I mixed it with olive oil as that is what we had, I expect it will still be OK? Will it keep in the refrigerator? Your thoughts?

Handle with care. Garlic in oil is a recipe for botulism. Read the following:

Garlic is a member of the lily family and is related to onions, shallots, chives, and leeks. It has a distinctive flavor and just needs a little care when handling it.

For long term storage you can pickle (which of course makes it different), freeze, or powder. You can freeze whole cloves, or chop up and put in ice cube trays. For powder dehydrate and run through the dry mixer on your Vitamix.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much, in the future I will ferment my excess garlic.

Also: if you make herby olive oil: put it in an ice cube tray and freeze it. Keep a baggie of cubes frozen

Comment

Freeze that stuff.

Comment

Forgot to mention, as it is best to plant in the fall. You could also plant the sprouted garlic. Wouldn't size up like fall planted, but you would have bulbs come summer.

When I was selling garlic at the farmers market people would ask, "How long does it last?" i would tell them, "Forever, if you keep it in the ground."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here