Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone getting started on their gardens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone getting started on their gardens?

Here in Maryland it is seedling time and the new plants are starting to take shape under grow lamps. The peas and radishes have already emerged outside under cover.We both love this time of year when the seeds start peaking out from the soil.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0735467C-9663-4074-9F4C-690C3FB80389.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	810233Click image for larger version

Name:	59C75DEB-538A-408A-8D53-164107472D9D.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	810234

Awesome!

we are looking for a house and planning on moving so we have decided against it this year. Hopefully will be able to take my 20 potted blueberry plants with me when I go though.

Comment

Mine never stopped growing. But for some reason I can’t keep Basal or cilantro alive.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Too much or too little water? That's been the biggest learning experience for us growing herbs and such. They don't all like the same amount of water.

• Bill P
        Bill P commented
        Editing a comment
        They tend to bolt fast and then they’re done.

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        Trim those puppies back continuously to promote new growth. And sow cilantro multiple times during the summer. Don't let it flower and go to seed (coriander). Pinch the tops off and keep the basil from flowering and you can keep the plant going all summer.

I was going to, but there's a chance of another frost in the 10 day and we can't start anything in doors because the dogs will get it I do wanna get peppers going much earlier this year.
      Our mint that died over the winter has already started growing with a vengeance so we may let it do it's thing in the pot its in.
      We have a cold hardy avocado tree that might have born fruit this year but it's randomly decided all its leaves were gonna die so fingers crossed it comes back.
      And finally, maybe I'll try cucumbers for pickles. We had zero luck with 2 varieties of tomato last year, so hopefully cucumbers are a bit more forgiving.

Comment

I dont have the space or time to grow from seed but i have a local place ive bought from the last few years. Got my order in and it will be delivered when ready for planting

Comment

Yup. Peppers (9) and tomatoes (7 cherries, 7dwarfs and 30 full size varieties 🤪) seedlings are started. I started peppers mid March last year and they were racing the frost warnings in the fall so backed it up a month this year.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Very good. Are those Cherokee Purples in your avatar? I have a flat of those started for ourselves and neighbors.

• DreamOn
            DreamOn commented
            Editing a comment
            The tomatoes pictured are Cherokee Chocolate, a sport/ offshoot of Cherokee Purple 👍🏻

This month, at least bed prep and stuff. It's still getting into the 30s at night so no planting yet

Comment

Got the starters going and rebuilding the raised beds next week.

Comment

We don't start our own plants but have the general plan ready and did order some seeds last week. No outdoor planting here until May. It did get to 44* here today! That's called Almost Spring in Minnesota. Lol.

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                May 15, right Skip? Far too early for even seeds I think.

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                You are right JCGrill . Last year it was so wet here that a lot didn't get planted until late May or early June.

Using my Jiffy pellets I've got oregano, parsley, cilantro, thyme, marjoram, and cumin started; plus 64 tabasco pepper plants. Once I transplant them I have several more pepper varieties and some tomatoes to start.

Comment

Nothin' yet, but I did prune the blueberry bushes and the cherry tree today.

Comment

Myne are all doing well and have an abundance of habanero chilies.

Comment

Getting bigger 🙂. I have a total of 131 tomato seedlings/ over 30 varieties and 21 peppers plants. One pepper has been waaay ahead of the others and my 4 Beaver Dam plants already have 28 flowers 😳.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• DreamOn
                      DreamOn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Forest is like 25” tall now and some are starting to get flower buds 😂. I really need May to get here and get these things outdoors

Got some various herb starts tucked into their beds for this year. The heavens opened up last night to give them their first drink in the new digs.

Comment

Nice looking plants there DreamOn . Nowhere near your quantity of plants but we are plugging along. In our outside covered beds the peas are starting to climb, spinach, onions, radishes, carrots have erupted. We are also already harvesting the outer leaves of our lettuce and eating lots of salads.
                      Gardening is just fun.🙂
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	E811895C-2C2F-4DBD-9E1A-14891B4065B7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	427.8 KB ID:	818557
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	9F07B634-C4F4-4A26-A038-2F267CBE1E9C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	602.8 KB ID:	818558
                      Last edited by Donw; March 22, 2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• DreamOn
                        DreamOn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It’s a major increase for me. I doubled the garden size and I’ve determined I still have a dozen more plants than space... so either I need to expand again or rehome some baby tomatoes 😀. We have had a big increase in small farm to table restaurants here. My plan is to try and sell to them , expanding from just for me use. I have partly "regular red" tomatoes and a host of exotics. We have a huge farm market here , and I noticed no one sells fancy tomatoes. Almost all red commercial hybrids.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here