Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caveman grilled Butternut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caveman grilled Butternut

I like cooking with live fire, and grilling caveman style is fun. And I like the simplicity of it all. So I chargrilled a butternut pumpkin. But I wanted to turn this into a nice sharing platter, so I decided to amp up up the flavors.

The pumpkin was grilled in my Big Green Egg. I placed it directly on the glowing embers. I turned it twice (rotating 1/3 each time), and I grilled it for 3x15 minutes. Turned out just perfect, but this was a big butternut (3.3 lbs).

I sliced it and chopped it up roughly. To get a lemony tang I applied a good amount of Sumac (a middle eastern spice), and sprinkled liberal amounts of feta cheese, pistachios and maple syrup. It looks good, and I really like the flavor combo on this one. Ladies and gents, pop open a cold one and dig in :-)

EDIT: I spent some time trying to get the flavors to work together. Here's my thinking: the butternut has a slightly nutty flavor, so I wanted to combine that with the pistachios, which are (of course) nutty. But they also add texture, which complements the soft butternut. And the feta cheese adds salt and creaminess. I picked maple syrup for the sweetness, but specifically because I wanted a bit of depth in the sweetness, something a good maple syrup provides. All in all I think this combo turned out pretty darn good.

This is my fire just before dropping the pumpkin on top

Click image for larger version  Name:	butternut_charcoal.jpg Views:	21 Size:	613.4 KB ID:	809302

Pumpkin right in the sweet spot

Click image for larger version  Name:	butternut_on_charcoal.jpg Views:	21 Size:	243.4 KB ID:	809300

Here it is, done:

Click image for larger version  Name:	butternut_charred.jpg Views:	21 Size:	458.2 KB ID:	809301

And here's my sharing platter

Click image for larger version  Name:	chargrilled_butternut.jpg Views:	21 Size:	879.2 KB ID:	809303

Have a great weekend y'all! /Hank
    Last edited by Henrik; February 28, 2020, 09:31 AM.

Looks great!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, it went pretty fast!

Looks delish. We grill summer squash a lot. BTW, sumac is grows wild in the central U.S. and is very common, but not many use it.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, I didn't know that. I really like the lemony flavor from the dried and ground sumac.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      The common North American sumac is the staghorn (Rhus typhina) while the one used for sumac as a spice is known variously as the Sicilian sumac,tanner's sumach, or elm-leaved sumach (Rhus coriaria). Not sure if the would be interchangeable as a spice. We have a bunch of staghorns on our property so I'll try an experiment this summer/fall. :-)

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard of people making a tea out of North American sumac, and it is described as lemony:

That sounds like an interesting flavor profile: feta, maple syrup, sumac and pistachio. I'll have to give this a try!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes, I spent a little time getting the flavors to work together, this combo was a winner.

Now that's what I call "lekker". I almost only cook butternut this way. I sometimes halve it remove the pips score the neck and fill the cavity with chakalaka cover in foil then skin side down on the coals for the entire cook.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      10-4 on the halving, I fill with brown sugar and butter, spices depends what falls out of the cupboard.
      Again interesting combo of flavours, will give it a try

Henrik interesting, looks like you served skin on? I usually skin, cube, and roast. Is the charred skin edible or it becomes more of a watermelon type of eat?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but with carving knives. The charred skin is not good for eating.

That sure is purdy (after plating)!

Comment

Cool Henrik . We eat Butternut Squash all the time but not fixed like that. I'll have to try that after squash harvest in the fall. Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here