Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dried Chile Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dried Chile Question

For the final tailgate of the year I always make a pot of no-holds-barred chili. In the past I've taken dried chiles, removed the stems and seeds, toasted them and then ground them. I thought I saw that a Pit member wrote they also seed and stem them but then reconstitute them in hot water and then grind them up with a little bit of that water to create a paste for their chili.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages between these 2 methods?

It sounds like someone is making an Achiote Paste substitute.

Comment

I usually toast then, stem & seed and rehydrate. Mostly just because I make quite a few Mexican dishes that start that way. Also, I know where the blender is, I'd have to go looking for the spice grinder.

I don't think it would matter in a chili, but making an adobo also lets you do things like sauté it for more flavor or run it through a mesh strainer to get the skins and any seeds out.

Comment

I suppose it only depends on the final texture you prefer. The seed - toast - soak to reconstitute and puree dried chiles is the traditional approach to starting a chile sauce. Grinding to a fine powder instead after a toast also works. The key to both methods is the toasting.

Comment

It probably doesn't make a bunch of difference as you're reconstituting it either way. That said I've only ever done the destem/seed, boil in liquid method then break them down as desired with a stick or upright blender. The reconstitute liquid can be a variety beyond water; chicken or beef stock, tequila, whatever. Strain out whatever seeds make it through the steeping process and, depending on what the primary recipe is, that liquid goes in the pot with all it's flavor. Or, if that much additional liquid isn't necessary it goes in something else.

Comment

I do both. I find the better flavor in the reconstitute way. That’s also the way I learned and was accustomed.

As said above incorporates a multitude of "methods or procedures and techniques" if you will.

For your chili application?? Is it a Texas "" Chili con Carne?” Is it a vegetable forawrd? Is it an "All the kids in the pool" leftover chili? A “Smoked meat dish with beans and veggies Etc.. See, a ton of differences?

i tend to start my chili and several sauces like a curry.

Perhaps consider the the following:

When you toast, stem, seed, heat and rehydrate in a flavored liquid like the water from poached meats and stocks you are able to add that flavor to the steeped liquid before blending. That flavor can be blended, pushed, balanced and semi finished before being added to your chili.

This is what helps create what you generally hear referred to as "layers of flavor." This is just one aspect that can be many in your dish.

For me I would use this prepped, rehydrated, blended, pushed, balanced and semi finished liquid to "pick up" the items (usually oil and root veggies and spices) I started in the pot "like a curry."

So you are able to bloom spices and chilies in the pot as you normally do then add your flavorful liquid to the pot. You get the best of both worlds this way whether your making an Adobo as a general base for things or an enchilada sauce to use right away or just chili.

Anyway you slice it everything should have flavor if you can help it. Except California Stock.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome answer!!!! Worth a million bucks

Great information per usual, folks.

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm going to go the rehydrate route this time.

The chili I make is a hybrid. I'll put a real fine mince on: onion, celery, garlic, jalapeño, poblano and serrano. I'll also use salt and a variety of ground peppercorns, I'll grind coriander and will toast and grind plenty of cumin seed. For this pot I'll be using some smoked/cubed brisket flat that will have been cooked 2 weeks prior (for the Michigan vs MSU tailgate) and frozen, along with some coarse ground chuck roast, canned tomatoes, some beef stock, a little bit of pureed smoked canned tomatoes and a few dashes of some other fun stuff. I will also add beans. I know some purists will argue that authentic chili can't have any beans, and that's fine. For me, I like beans in my chili so that's how I make it.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              That sir sounds amazing. I love beans too. I can take chili either way. I don’t give a hoot about the purists. This chili you describe sounds delicious. So many opportunities for flavor. Awesome!!

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Is this more of a chile stew, or is it thicker? This is very similar to how we make green chile stew, at least the flavor profile. Sounds great!

Kenji discusses advantages to using a chile paste over a chile powder here:

I prefer the chile paste over powder.

Comment

I grow all kinds of chili's including both habanero and ghost. Some I put up in 1 cup jars that keep for months on the shelf and when open in the frig. Making paste is easing and fast and canning saves time when I need some.

Comment

I re-hydrate in stock, either beef or chicken. I bring the stock to a boil and add the toasted chili peppers to the stock in a blender. I let them sit for about a 1/2 hour then blend to a paste. If I am making mole, I add other ingredient to the blender during the hydration step except the chocolate. I then simmer on the stove for about an hour to let the flavors blend if I am using it as a sauce. For chili, I just add it then.

Comment

Love this site and thread! Came here looking for opinions on an idea I had to riff on Meathead ‘s Classic KC Sauce recipe. I’ve got some leftover dried anchos and pasilla chiles from an adobo I made recently using the seed-toast-soak method described earlier. My question is what effect would adding some reconstituted peppers in the KC sauce have on shelf life. As written, the recipe is supposed to last up to a month or two in the fridge. Does the introduction of these peppers change that, and if so, how?

Thanks
                  Last edited by LSUBBQFan; October 26, 2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• mnavarre
                    mnavarre commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Between the ketchup, mustard, and vinegar there's quite a bit of acidity, I can't see the chilis changing the shelf life. Stock or animal fats will shorten the shelf life, so reconstitute the peppers in water. I just checked the pH on a batch that's been lurking in the back of the fridge for almost a year and it's 4.33. That should be fridge stable from a safety standpoint for a good long while.

• LSUBBQFan
                    LSUBBQFan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    mnavarre Thanks. Yeah, I used water for that reason, but just looking for some reassurance which you’ve given me. It came out really good, BTW.

LSUBBQFan Honestly and technically, I don’t have that answer.

i would imagine the shelf life would be the same as it’s refrigerated.

Packaged Stock/broth would seem to be the index here. if I remember the bbq recipe is spices, sugar and processed condiments correct? That’ stuff seems to last forever.

You can always make a small batch or larger one and freeze some.

Comment

• LSUBBQFan
                    LSUBBQFan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HouseHomey Thanks, the idea of freezing some had not occurred to me. I may try that if I don’t finish this sauce with a spoon tonight, LOL

What a great thread! HouseHomey that is some good information on technique. Thank you!

i also soak my red chile pods when I am making Carne Adovada. This is after removing the stem and seeds. After the soak, into the blender to make a thick sauce.

Reading through this thread, I’ve got a few more ideas to try for variations!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here