Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An even SIMPLER (and better, IMO) Sweet-Sour Coleslaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chudzikb
    replied
    Nice addition, I will try this, as easier, is well, easier. That and I like the vinegar based cole slaw better than mayo based.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I'll have to try a sweet-sour. I think I do the basic version that is super easy, so easy I'm going to hate not doing it.

Leave a comment:

• An even SIMPLER (and better, IMO) Sweet-Sour Coleslaw

I definitely prefer sweet-sour type coleslaw to the creamy varieties. I recently tried Meathead's recipe for Sweeet-Sour Slaw when I noticed how close it is to one I've been making for years. Meathead's Sweeet-Sour Slaw is very good to be sure; but I honestly prefer mine. My dressing is a little less complex; but I think it has a "cleaner" piquancy that makes that sweet/sour characteristic even more noticeable--which to me is more enjoyable. The main differences, of course, are the use of malt vinegar (instead of white vinegar) and the omission of the mustard powder, onions and peppers. I occasionally do add some diced or minced red onion; but I prefer slaw without peppers.

Even Simpler Sweet-Sour Slaw

Yield: 6-10 servings
    Prep time: 20 minutes
    Let it sit and refrigerate: At least 30 minutes

Dressing Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon white sugar
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon celery seeds (not celery salt)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil (corn oil or salad oil mix are good choices)
    1/4 cup distilled malt vinegar (not white or apple cider vinegar)

Veggie Ingredients:
    1-pound bag of slaw mix (shredded green cabbage with a little carrot and purple cabbage)

Optional additions. Occasionally I add diced or minced red onion, and/or touch of lemon or lime zest. The citrus seems to add an even greater note of freshness. Meathead's suggestion to add a little radish also sounds good.

Method:
    1) I blend all the dressing ingredients with a hand-held blender. It really emulsifies the oil.

2) Toss the slaw mix and the dressing in an adequately-sized bowl and chill 30-45 minutes. Then, as Meathead indicates, you can adjust the seasonings to your taste. If I'm only feeding my wife and I instead of a larger crowd, I combine only one-half of the slaw mix with one-half of the dressing. The other halves, if kept tightly sealed and refrigerated, will combine to make a good, fresh-tasting coleslaw any time during the next few days.

3) If you prefer to wash and shred your own veggies to using the bagged slaw mix, you should definitely, as Meathead says: "Read my article on The Science of Slawsome Slaw. Decide how you want to cut the cabbage, carrots, pepper, and onions: Chopped, grated, or hashed and have at it. I like this recipe best when chopped or grated. Now that you've decided, do it."

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here