Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked vs Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked vs Sous Vide

I say sous vide wins!

...for sweet corn. Smoked 3 ears at 275 for an hour vs 3 sous vide for 45 mins at 183, Sous vide won hands down.
    Last edited by glitchy; August 26, 2019, 06:54 AM. Reason: typo

Corn on the cob is outstanding done sous vide!

Comment

Just read about this method in another thread recently and had to try it too. Wife now thinks that I should always sous vide corn from now on. Glad it worked out for you too.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Fresh green beans and broccoli do well too.

Gonna do this asap!

Comment

Sous vide is great for any vegetables in my opinion. Somethings not so much. I.E. We've tried to like steak done sous vide and then seared but it just doesn't make the starting line up.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          In the dead of winter, we’ll do it some. Or if the wife wants blade tenderized steaks (Costco Prime). I’m going to try smoke then sous vide then sear sometime, but overall agree, just better flavor straight up grilled.

I like SV for beef and pork a lot. Now I need to try vegetables. Thanks for the post glitchy .

Comment

Some veggies do really well SV. My problem always seems to be time. You have to get the water up to a higher temp, then cook the veggie for an extended period. Veggies aren't always high priority and I end up steaming them anyway.

A great alternative (and I was a bit skeptical myself) was taken from Kenji's book The Food Lab. He devotes a whole chapter on doing veggies in the microwave by wrapping them in wet paper towels. They turn out amazingly good and talk about fast and easy. No muss no fuss. Try it sometime !!

BUT, sous vide corn is still a favorite. Try the Elote Mexican Corn version, it's out of sight !!!

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            When I want a higher sous vide temp, I start my pot out on the stovetop, so it can come up to speed more quickly. Once at temp, it maintains itself, of course.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree it's worth the effort, I'm usually struggling with getting the meat off the smoker or grill. Sometimes I'm without sous chef !!!

Asparagus. 185 for 10 minutes. Lot of work, but it comes out perfect.

Comment

I have found that carrots are also amazing when done SV

Comment

Why does it have to be mutually exclusive?

I like taking the SV corn and putting some char on it on the grill.

Comment

I finally got around to SV'ing some corn. You guys are right - it was some of the best corn I have ever had.

Comment

I prefer my corn directly roasted on the grill so it gets some char on it. No need to pull out a couple of other pieces of equipment and waste a gallon freezer bag. By the time the SV corn is done the grilled corn is done and has a much better flavor.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nate I am not going to pull out my SV machine and water container and waste a gallon ziplock bag and then have to clean it up for 2 ears of corn when we prefer the smoke flavor from the grill.

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fair enough but at least have the integrity to stop your comment there as to why you don’t do it. By saying "and has a much better flavor" basically voids you of any and all credibility you may or may not have had to begin with since, as you admitted, you actually don’t know since you haven’t tried it SV style and it would just be your opinion anyway if you had.

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are correct Nate since I have not tasted SV corn and should not have said anything about it. My apologies to any who may have been offended. I once again put foot in mouth on SV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1FC959-C903-461E-B13F-1F62AD36BCA1.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	740428 Da plane....Da plane....

Comment

Troutman LMAO at that pic. Brought this one to mind...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	7C18040E-58CC-4FE6-A885-49DFCC62A1A9.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	740467

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here