Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy Peel Garlic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy Peel Garlic

Stumbled across this yesterday well worth a try.

https://www.boredpanda.com/garlic-pe...mpaign=organic

I tried this technique last night with very little luck. I need more practice and probably a different knife. My little paring knife kept breaking the cloves and I still had to peel them. Then to top it off, the wife trashed my little garlic shaking jar I have been using.

Comment

Craigar it also looks like she is using elephant garlic instead of normal garlic. Unless her hands are wicked small those are some huge cloves on that bulb

Comment

• AverageJoe
        AverageJoe commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb well. Clearly you know your garlic. We don't get those fancy named ones here in my local. You get regular garlic or elephant "garlic". Would love to see the different ones that you grow.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        AverageJoe I have grown it for the last ten years, a quarter to a full acre. At one point I was growing over twenty varieties, a real pain keeping them all separate. So I finally narrowed it down to my best hardneck, a Russian Red, and four softnecks, and I was trying to narrow those down to one when I moved. Currently nothing in ground.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb I'm one of those "garlic is garlic" people. Kinda like the "whiskey is whiskey" people that I mock! So, you can mock me! Lol.

I gotta try this. If it works.... Well than why the heck didn't anyone figure this out years ago.

Comment

• DiverDriver
        DiverDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        That was my first thought. Centuries of garlic peeling...

This method works much better, faster, and won't cut yourself.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya mean she doesn't smoke it??

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        RonB I realise you are being funny, but the thought of putting it in the KBQ for short time before the dehydrator has crossed my mind. Toss is some bell pepper and I could have smoked garlic paprika!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, it obviously crossed my mind, (short trip though), so I'm not surprised it crossed your's too.

ComfortablyNumb

​​​​​​​It’s only 45lbs with 1/4Hp but hell you get a year warranty on the parts.

Orale Paisano!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb DiverDriver we use them at work. Pickled, sauces and some fresh items.

• DiverDriver
        DiverDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey I have fermented them with dill unfortunately they were to "woody" texture but good taste. I do the same with beet green stems. Another mans trash is my treasure.

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        DiverDriver Harvest them a bit earlier, the longer on the plant the woodier they get.

I just slice the cloves in half and the paper falls right off.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorta the same almost. I will try your way & hers. I love the smell it leaves on the fingers but hate the hassle.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan I keep asking for the pre peeled stuff at work and get hollered at. Every now and the our order is short and they substitute a large bag of the pre peeled stuff. Whohoo!!!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I hate peeling that sticky crap.

Try my method, HouseHomey. Slice it in half lengthwise.

Comment

For just a few cloves, this works good;

Only drawback is after a few cloves it loses efficiency. A quick wash and you are good to go.

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a similar product, except it was a flat sheet of silicone instead of a tube, just put the clove on it, fold it over once, and give it a roll with the palm of your hand. Worked pretty good.

Here's my peeler.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones - still waiting on the watermelon, my friend ...

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          MBMorgan Reckon th Subscriber's nickel musta run out, right about then, or else, watermelon might notta been zackly seasonal, at that particular venue...

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m thinkin’ you’re right, Bonesy ...

An update and explanation. Don't get bored. Watch the complete video.

Comment

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          That explains how it was so inconsistent. Thanks!

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Alright, I'll give it another go.

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup it is chicken Vesuvio tonight with insane amounts of fresh garlic!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here