Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Growing

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And since im growing Cayenne, does anyone have a tip on what to do with them? Dry 'em up and make crushed pepperflakes?

Comment

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      That's one of the things I always did with mine. I always found it best to grind in something hotter for a little kick.

I also ground some up for the occasional recipe that called for ground cayenne; left some whole to mix into stir fry (you can also cut some of those in half if you want the stir fry hotter; mamke hot sauce from some fresh ones.,,

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      We smoke them at very low temp in an electric cabinet style smoker for about 12 hours, run them through a dehydrator and then grind into a powder. I'll also ferment them and make a hot sauce.

My Mom used to make a reall ygood pepper relish, but in the almost 30 years since She passed, the recipe has disappeared. The link below looks similar to what I remember although my Mom's wasn't very sweet, bud it did bring on the heat.

Comment

We have two peach trees in the yard. Some years the crop is hit or miss depending on spring weather, but this spring we had decent rain and no killing frosts and the trees out did themselves. The pic shows only part of what one tree produced. We gave a bunch away and squirrels took Click image for larger version

Name:	peaches.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1089070 their portion--damn tree rats! We'll be processing them to go into the freezer and of course give a bunch more away.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        WOW!!!

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Chicken of the tree!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        So lucky

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210906_133054.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	1089518

A few Peppers from the Garden. The long thin "Garden Salsa" are the hottest and the "Green and Yellow Bell" are the mildest. The Dark Green is a "Poblano" and "Red and Green Jalapeno". We're having a good yield on peppers this year but it took awhile.

Comment

We got one Big Jim hatch chili pepper this year. I repeat. One. Oof.

Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang, that's disappointing.

Last weekend, I cleaned out 4 raised beds and planted for fall. Spinach, arugula, bok choy, radishes, lettuce, collards and dinosaur kale. Maybe I got it in early enough, first frost here is 11/15. Peppers didn't do much for me either!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211018_141515.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1112573 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211017_100925.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1112572

Final Pepper Harvest of 2021. Cleaned and ready for the freezer.

Comment

Starting to grow this years batch..

Name:	1647331984654444100615016433402.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1189693

Comment

I grow my own spaghetti; I have a spaghetti tree in our backyard.

Have not had spaghetti squash in a long time.

Comment

Ah -- the joys and pain of gardening! This is an old photo. I haven't had green beans in 2 years, the deer ate 'em down to the roots.

Name:	garden.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	1189726
                This is my 4th year growing in these beds. I'm going to have to do some maintenance work before seriously planting anything! Weight of dirt has pushed top cedar boards out of the corner posts. I think I can dig dirt out, pile it up in the center, fix the corner(s) then respread the dirt. It's always something!

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Green beans once removed I call venison.
                  Bambi roasting on my grill
                  The smell of BBQ in the air
                  For when it's done I do not despair
                  I know I will have enough to share
                  To the party I do not fear
                  As I pop open another beer

Starting off this year. The lettuce and swiss chard over-wintered and are still producing,

Name:	E705B93E-17E8-408A-8762-B38E157F79F9.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	1220834 Click image for larger version

Name:	53674569-774B-4262-81E2-CE919F396815.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1220835 Click image for larger version

Name:	5440AB88-71B4-4073-AF13-BAC5E8383207.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	1220833 Click image for larger version

Name:	8A4A0F1C-6E0E-441B-ACF1-45C94F2F1010.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	1220836 Click image for larger version

Name:	BFBF6CF0-44BA-4397-B818-2BFED31071C5.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	1220837

Comment

A little more scattered than Don, but we have on going beds we plant and re-plant in the spring and fall. Here's some snaps I shared in the herb post, we're growing tomatoes, potatoes, squash, bitter melon, cantaloupe and a variety of herbs. My wife also grows some Filipino stuff that I don't know the names of so that's there too.

Name:	IMG_4983.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	1220880

Name:	IMG_4985.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1220879

Name:	IMG_4986.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	1220878 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4987.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	1220877 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4988.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	1220881

Comment

Tomato seedlings almost ready to transplant. Four varieties: Sun Gold, Crimson Carmello, San Marzano, and Mr. Stripey.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220513_164630927.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	1220883
                    Last edited by theroc; May 13, 2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ohhh San Marzanos, my favorite. Do you have the appropriate volcanic soil to grow them in? I heard you can import it from Sicily on Amazon

• theroc
                      theroc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Troutman - hmmm never thought of that. Unfortunately, our mountains are all tectonic and not volcanic. Need a bit of Vesuvius in the back yard....

• CaptainMike
                      CaptainMike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We live in the shadow of Mt Shasta and have VERY volcanic soil. We will plant 30 - 40 San Marzanos every year and can them at the end of the season. I have done side by side taste comparisons with Cento SM tomatoes and ours and can taste very little difference. In fact, we prefer the flavor of our over theirs. I attribute that to the 2 Tbsp of lemon juice per qt to increase the acidity when canning. Best tomatoes for cooking, hands down!

Love to garden and plant alot. Sharing the lettuce, spring mix, kale and spinach, along with the potatoes for now. Planted white, red and fingerlings and today just planted sweet potato slips. More photos to come.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
                      Donw commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Beautiful. One of the nice things about living down here on the lower Eastern Shore is when it comes to farming and gardening there aren’t many rocks. Looks like you do have a few,

• DavidNorcross
                      DavidNorcross commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes Donw we do have our share of rocks. Excellent soil but we have our rocks.

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow! That looks great. My back doesn't like bending, so it's only tomatoes and corn for me now. My wife does tend a few things though.

Getting closer to starting 100% of my garden from seeds. Gotta start inside in Minnesota. Had a hard frost June 1 last year
                    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here