Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden for the grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added cilantro, for my wife, and figured, I could learn to use it in some of my attempts (to a level that I can tolerate or neutralize a bit with the type of cook. I really would like garlic, and a few various onions, but am happy with what I have to learn and manage this year. If this summer goes half way decent, I might try to prep a spot to add An area to get ready in a few years for asparagus, I only eat it during grilling season.

Comment

If it would every stop raining here in Nebraska, I would have tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, asparagus, and some acorn squash, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to to get it in the ground as saturated as it is here!

Comment

I currently have pepperoncini, jalapeno, hybrid real deal, hot lemon, and big thai peppers sprouting already. I also have 7pot primo,de arbol, maruga chocolate scorpion, purple bhut jolokia, and serrano seeds on the way.
        Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bacon seeds.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	797846

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            My kind of garden!

We do a garden every year and its always a little different. We always plant herbs and several kinds of Tomatoes and Peppers and some Kohl Rabi and Radishes. We usually plant some summer squash, which we will cut into maybe inch thick slices, drizzle with olive oil, a little salt, and whatever seasoning strikes us, and then char up a little on the grill. Often cukes, peas, and green beans too.

Comment

I've not done a garden for a little while mostly because I'm single and so growing a lot of, say, green beans or something doesn't make sense when I can go to the great summer farmer's markets here and get freshly grown stuff that's just as good.

I think this year, though, I'm going to grow some Asian greens and some herbs. Perhaps tomatoes.

BTW, for the person above who was disappointed that they tended tomatoes for a long time just to get one crop... those were likely determinate tomatoes. You want indeterminate ones to get repeat crops. Info here https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...eterminate.htm

Comment

I have been planting less and less as the years go by for several reasons. First, the trees around the garden have grown a lot over the last 38 years, so there is less sun and I need to plant tomatoes and corn in the sunniest spots. Over the years soil born diseases have been spread throughout the garden, and it's impossible to grow healthy tomatoes. Finally, age and growing problems have blunted my desire to grow, so I am down to tomatoes and corn. And if the corn doesn't do better than it has over the last three or four years, it will be the last year for corn.

Comment

I do a bunch of herbs because those can be potted and are pretty easy to maintain for personal use. I have a raised bed i built and the one thing that is always in there are san marzano tomatoes. Not the easiest tomato to grow in nj summer heat but so worth it when grill charred and turned into bolognese. I will also always do cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, mostly for salad purposes. I honestly dont grow a lot of grilling veggies. If i did, it would probably be multiple varieties of squash

Comment

lol, with 18 acres of garden... Pretty much everything. Lots of Chili's, corn, potatoes, onions, herbs, an orchard, a berry patch, tomatoes, lots of purple hull peas.... On and on and on.

Comment

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Purple hull peas??? Really??? Dang, another reason to move to Texas. They are hard to find around here.

• rickgregory
                    rickgregory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "..., with 18 acres of garden... "

Holy cow manure...

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like you have many mouths to feed there, so that is wonderful!

Grill: peppers
                  sauces: tomatoes, peppers, peaches

Comment

I just started last weekend with 4 or 5 different varieties of basil, some cilantro and dill. Would love to do veggies and fruits but lacking the time and available space to do it. I already have a plan in my head to dig up all of the plants on the side of my house that were here when I moved in and replace it with a veggie garden. I'd say that it's not happening for a year or two, but if the Carolina horsenettle I tried to remove last year comes back this year, that might force me to dig all that stuff up sooner rather than later and I'd try to start a garden next Spring.

Comment

No veggies, just the typical So. Cal herbs.... Thyme, Rosemary, Cannabis, Cilantro, Mint.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here