Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garlic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garlic Question

I know different prep of garlic results in strength of flavor. As a general rule when adding garlic to a marinade should it be crushed, chopped, or paste?

I would say it depends on what you are marinading and what flavor profile you are trying to achieve. Garlic obviously imparts a strong flavor, so how much is a matter of taste. You don't want it overwhelming the marinade. Typically I either crush it or rough chop it, but again it's a matter of how much and what are you marinading.

Comment

I take the clove and crush it. Mostly because I hate peeling garlic and crushing it makes it easy to remove the paper. And I LOVE garlic so if it is a little powerful, that is fine with me.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, but I also love smashing it. LOL. Attjack

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I am with you @Backroadsmeats

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Cut and smash

I lightly crush, peel, then rough chop.

Kind of funny how garlic presses seem to have fallen out of favor.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        they only do the one thing, really. But they are kind of the best tool for that one thing, and if you use a lot of garlic, worth having a solid unitasker, imho.

The finer you chop it the stronger the garlic flavor. Also, the faster it burns.

If you just want a bit, rough chop. If you want more, mince. If you think "Stinking Rose... Hell Yes" then mash to paste in a mortar and pestle with some salt.

Comment

When you crush, chop, or mince garlic you are exposing the enzyme alliinase to oxygen, which turns the allin to allicin, which is responsible for garlics aroma. It is also touted for numerous health benefits. Heat destroys allininase, so it's best to let it 'rest' for a bit before using it. Obviously, the finer the crush the more exposed. Here's a page I found that might be helpful in preparing it.
        Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; March 1, 2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Troutman & Potkettleblack covered it. It depends on what flavor you are after. There is no one way, sometimes ya gotta slice, sometimes smash, sometimes chop into itty bitty pieces & then there are times you do none of the above. You just throw the whole clove in. One tip that works for me that I heard Emeril give is, "whatever the recipe calls for, double it".
          Last edited by FireMan; March 1, 2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I'm not shy about garlic.

Or you could be like Paulie in GoodFellas when he was in prison, slicing garlic into thin sheets with a razor blade. That way it melts when it hits the hot gravy .....

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I was just thinking about this scene!

• Mojo0209
            Mojo0209 commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Spot on!

For a marinade I will chop/mince garlic.

Comment

After I brewed a few batches of beer it kind of dawned on me to treat garlic in cooking like you do hops in brewing beer. Aroma hops early in the boil, aroma garlic early in the cooking process. Flavor hops at the end of the brewing process, flavor garlic towards the end of the cooking process. So if I am in a mood for a lot of garlic, it will be used a minimum of two times during the cooking process of whatever I am preparing. We like our garlic.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Early hop additions, the beginning of the boil, are for bittering. Late hop additions, the final few minutes of the boil, are for aroma and flavour. I don't see how it applies to garlic. But it sounds good! :-)

I just add it using a garlic press - same as mincing but easier. A lot folks don’t know that you don’t have to peel a garlic clove before putting it through a garlic press. Easy easy.

Comment

As to peeling, I do something I learned from watching Rick Bayless. I toast the cloves in their husk in a dry skillet, until the paper has some blackening. Peels very easy and improves the flavor. Bit more mellow and a bit richer.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	skillet.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	644129
                That's not a garlic peeler.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	13442_Garlic%20Peeler.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	644128

....THAT'S a garlic peeler!! (That's the one I use)

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  klflowers The first step is to plant an acre of garlic....

• Buck Flicks
                  Buck Flicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Who has an 8 pound garlic??? ;-)

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can also use this to remove feathers from your chickens!

Probably depends upon how long you are going to marinade. Paste? or crushed should be better for shorter times, after that I doubt it matters.

Comment

I'm lazy when it comes to garlic. I buy the minced garlic in a jar. Also, I love garlic, so I tend to just heap giant spoonfuls in to whatever I'm doing - usually far more than the recipe calls for. My wife and I both love garlic, so neither of us have complained yet about too much garlic.

When I make 40 cloves and a chicken, I buy already-peeled garlic cloves. And my 40 cloves is usually around 70 cloves.

Comment

• parkerj2
                    parkerj2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    More restaurants do this than you'd realize (I've worked in a couple) because a lot of chefs can't discern the difference in flavor. And honestly neither can 99.9% of patrons.

If nothing else, i buy the pre-peeled garlic. Peeling it is the worst.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here