Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Service Announcement - CDC Warns Americans to Not Eat Romaine Lettuce Until Further Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Service Announcement - CDC Warns Americans to Not Eat Romaine Lettuce Until Further Notice

E. Coli outbreak tied to Romaine lettuce. This includes whole heads, chopped, cut, bagged & boxed, all brands. Toss it they say! Here's the article: https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/index.html

I think they should send it all to Congress 'cause you know what they all are full of anyway. This might alleviate the problem...

Comment

Man, I could really go for a Caesar salad about now. I guess it will be awhile.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        If you eat one now, you might "go" more than you want.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        If you can get green (Boston) or red lettuce, they're both good for this. Not as crisp as Romaine or Iceberg, but more body.

I feel like this is happening more and more. Or at least I hear about it more.

Comment

I've been eating Caesar & romaine salads nearly every day since May when I started doing healthier things. I love a good salad with oil and salt & fresh cracked pepper. I complained to my coworker this morning that as soon as I start eating salads (and I prefer romaine) it's unsafe, go figure. I'm going back to pizza. There's never a recall on pizza. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          A good substitute for romaine is green leaf lettuce. It isn't as crunchy as romaine, but it will do..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 5.31.14 PM.png
Views:	114
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	595886

Comment

I've always preferred th succulence n crispness of Iceberg, so no worries, here!

Comment

• Strat50
            Strat50 commented
            Editing a comment
            We serve wedge salads on a request only basis at the restaurant I work for. About 5-8 people a day usually. They are so, so good with a bit of diced romas and shaved red onions. Romaine who? ...lol

Fortunately, the only green things I eat are martini olives...

Comment

I had four leaves of newly-bought romaine on a sandwich literally minutes before I saw the news. I've penciled in "throw up some blood" for Friday.

Comment

Toss the Lettuce
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Toss salad.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.3 KB ID:	595989

Comment

Our restaurant 86'd romaine instantly. How this scenario shakes out is unclear, but the liability IS clear. Many of our guests had concerns about romaine, so, we just substituted spring mix and other greens. It's a bit weird using other greens for ceasars, etc., but since the supply chain is laden with areas to cross-contaminate; it is almost impossible to trace the source of the contamination, as well as the extent, so 86'd it is. Oh well.....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	46501777_10156741560215119_4864555353305513984_n.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	596075

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is Good News, indeed!

Gotta say, I'm going to miss a good grilled romaine/Caesar salad ... but butter lettuce is a pretty good sub (not for grilling, tho').

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here