Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to dice an oohnyoon (onion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to dice an oohnyoon (onion)

How do dice an onion.. the french chef-way

Interesting

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what came to my mind too.

Some nice refinements there on the way I learned 45+ years back. Thanks for posting it! I'll be using them!

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure if anyone taught me the way I cut an onion, or if I figured it out myself about that many years ago (might have been watching my grandma), but yeah, nice refinements.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know why I never thought of using a paring knife for the ends (except that I try not to generate things for my wife to wash), nor did I think of keeping the initial cuts attached to do the cross cut.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with EdF. I would just use one knife and hack off both ends wasting some onion, but not enough worth crying over. Otherwise, I like it - simpler than the method I've used.

This is BS. He says he has a perfectly diced onion, but he only has half a perfectly diced onion. The other half isn't diced even a little bit. If I followed his instructions, I would have a bunch of little pieces, and one HUGE piece. With my luck, my sister in law who doesn't like onions would get the HUGE piece in her sauce.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol !

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea you get ‘em Mosca, what a keen sense of observation

I need to practice my knife skills.

Comment

I guess I need to buy larger onions.

Comment

I see your dice and raise you a dice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ocKrSpWgrw Start at 8;10 for the onion.

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          How about 30 seconds to dice (after coring and peeling) - downside is device cleanup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhqjOzeSiuk

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          Wouldn't that mean that you have or are in pair 'o dice?

• NoogaQ
          NoogaQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I'd lose a finger on that style!!

I haven't cored the ends of an oonyoon like that before, but I have meenced it similarly.

Comment

Thanks for the video. This is the way my Mom showed me how to cut onions when I was young. I never knew she was a French chef.

Did anyone else think of Justin Wilson when listening to the chef say onion?

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            I sure did!

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, I thought of a friend of mine, who is a classically trained French chef, from Quebec. He makes all kinds of real pretty vegetables for garnishes. I'd ask him to show me how he cuts an onion, but I'm afraid he would tell me, and tell me, and tell me. The only way I can get him to stop telling me every detail of how he prepared some dish is to switch the conversation to BBQ.

I don't need to go this way... well I'll be damned. I was going that way!

Comment

I think we need our own trained chef. Not that we trained him. HouseHomey to show us the real proper way to dice an onion. This guy has knife skillz.

Comment

Yea French chef my butt, more like ‘Coon-ass French’

Comment

That’s about how I do it. I cut along the lines instead of vertical, in an attempt to get more natural pieces.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. I also use radial initial cuts.

I cut my onion similar. BUT.........

His knife cuts were uneven, he used minced and diced interchangeably when they are completely different.

I completely leave the root end in tact and slice from north to South Pole producing two halves. Then lay on the flat end and finish to whatever cut you want while using the root as a "Handel."

if its for an application that requires consistent knife cuts I will only use the center of the onion (half) discarding the first cut and root end to the stock pot. You need good knife cuts for garnishes, soups, raw applications etc... where the cuts are evident.

also cutting a few dozen onions his way of peeling is quite burdensome. However by the time you reach a certain status you can do that crap and the other chefs finish it for him in their own fashion.

nice one.
                Steve B thanks for putting me on the spot. My French training happened in MERRICA though!
                Last edited by HouseHomey; October 5, 2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tried his way tonight and didn't like it. I also halve and leave the root to grip.

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey anything I can do to help. 😁

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here