Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried growing their own ramps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried growing their own ramps?

I’ve been thinking about growing my own ramps. I have a nice shaded area next to a fence line that I think would be a good place to grow them. However, the more I read about it, the more I am not so sure. Many sources say they are slow-growing. If you plant them they won’t be ready for harvest for 7 years! But then I read Meathead’s article on pickled ramps and he states that if plant ramps in the spring you’ll have a bucket-load by summer. So, I’m kind of in a pickle.... don’t hate me because I know you saw what I did there.

So, my question is has anyone attempted to grow their own ramps and, if so, how did it go? Was it worthwhile? Also, where did you purchase your seeds or onion bunches to plant, or did you just go out and harvest yourself and replant?

Todd

Seed to maturity, 5 or so years. Bunches to maturity, a few years. Blossoming means they were mature that year. So sez my wife, who has grown them.

Comment

I started with a few and was told I needed to "ramp" it up to have enough and lost interest.

Comment

Ramps are something I use to get my tractor on a trailer. I thought they were manufactured not grown.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here