Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chipotle peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipotle peppers

I read the article on cold smoking. So I won't do that. Anyone have suggestions for smoking jalapeno peppers to make chipotle?

I think the caution on cold smoke is probably more to do with meat or fish, but I have never tried smoking a pepper.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried it once. Had a bad coughing fit....

We do it every year. As jgreen mentioned, cold smoking meat can be a challenge, but veggies are not a problem. We have a cheapo Bradley smoker that we use just for peppers. I used to do them whole, but will now split and deseed. We place them in a single layer and smoke for 12-18 hours then finish in a dehydrator. The element that cooks off the pucks gets the cabinet to about 100 degrees, but that's the only heat source. Try it on any other peppers you grow, you'll really enjoy the flavors.

Comment

Try this.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        About the only thing we do differently is to let the peppers fully ripen on the vine.

Here's another article: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/p...-chili-peppers

Comment

If you use the oven to dry them, expect the smoke smell to permeate your house. Not that it's a bad thing.

Comment

I like the idea of smoking them. Then using a dehydrator to finish them off. We have a decent dehydrator and my wife makes a lot of dried fruits and vegetables.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here