Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watermelon Steak-Who's First?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watermelon Steak-Who's First?

It looks like a delicious hunk of meat at first, but then you slice into the "watermelon steak" and discover that it's actually fruit. INSANE.

Woah.....I am not sure about this one. Id try it though!

Comment

I just don't know if I could eat that!!!

Comment

I'd try it out, based upon a dish I only stumbled on in recent years:
        BBQ watermelon rind

It's guuuuddddd!

Like any food, there's endless ways to make it, an make it yer own, so I provided a startin place to explore.

Comment

Maybe late in the summer on a day I was fresh out of any protein whatsoever, and ripe watermelons all over the place... if I had had way too many beers, then maybe I would try this. I just enjoy regular ol' watermelon too much to do all that to it. I mean, what if I did all that work, hated it, and was still craving watermelon?

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I will give that a shot, Mr. Bones.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Frigid Legumes, Brother!
            If ya already like watermelon, an smoked foods, I rather reckon ya will be surprised at how well they can be melded together...

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            You said yourself you had watermelons 'all over the place'.

I cut up watermelon rinds into Rib sized portions, use my favorite rub(s), purchased, or homemade, smoke em til probe tender/have some external caramelization.
          Very low/slow,watch em closely...they'll soak up an Imperial Buttload of smoke, due to their porosity, an moisture content, an will become mush rather quickly, without supervision.

If/when this happens, as with all other food-related miscalculations, take to yer compost pile, an start again, another time. Leastwise, that's what we do here at th Lab.

Many receipts I researched called fer dousin em/simmerin/etc. in BBQ sauce; knock yerselves out, experiment, make it yer own. Post yer spins, I'm here to learn, until I pull th dirt all up over my face.

Bein th Bonehead I am, I only serve sauce on th side, as with all of my other BBQ. If folks wanna drown their product, so be it. I put alla my eggs in one basket, most times, tryin to git so much flavour/complexity/layers/nuances into my product(s) that they can be appreciated on their own merit(s).

One can also, variously, cut into cubes, serve with a toothpick, as a 'horse diver', or slightly larger cubes, put on yer new favourite kebabs...

Extry Bonus Tip: ya can sure enough marinade em, some; be subtle/restrained, don't git heavy-handed, cause they'll soak stuff up
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 2, 2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Ive grilled watermeleon slices. It dehydrates it and concentrates the flavor.

I dont know if I’d go through all this trouble to make it not seem like watermelon when wayermelon is good anyway.

Ive pickled the rinds as well, I guess next time I’ll have to try smoking them.

Comment

Not me!

Comment

Y'all know what? I'm sticking to grilling pineapple and loading chilled watermelons with Reyka Vodka. I paid A LOT OF MONEY to learn this in college.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's called "Doin' the right thing"!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here