Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truth telling time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth telling time....

For years I have cheated when making my coleslaw, originally it was out of ignorance and possibly some convenience but it just feels wrong now and I am here to come clean and look for alternatives and forgiveness.

When I first started cooking I was focused on the meat and everything else was an afterthought. That is why I got into the habit of buying bagged grocery store slaw "starter kits" along with the McCormick $0.99 spice packs. Sure I jazzed up the dressing by adding a little spicy brown mustard instead of 100% mayo as the packet calls for. I even went so far as to chop up a few canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and pawned it off as my "secret" recipe.

I am here to make amends for past mistakes, ask for forgiveness and solicit options for a better slaw recipe prospectively. My only requirement is that I do prefer a somewhat creamy slaw so some amount of mayo is going to be required. Point me to the light.

Whew I feel better now.

Sounds like an old family recipe to me.

Comment

OK you are redeemed, say three hail Mary's and go out and make some home made. You will feel much better !!!

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        and three hail Meatheads.....

You are forgiven. Go and make crappy slaw no more.

Comment

if you're tickling your own tastebuds, you're doing OK.

That Said, make slaw is easy. even easier with a food processor. the toughest part is to get the cabbage cut. that is actually easier than folks imagine. the lovely way it grows makes it very easy to chop. keep the core on it and, much like cutting an onion with root on, everything is easier.

once you have the cabbage cut, salt it. HEAVILY. never fear, you won't be eating all that salt. the idea is to dehydrate the cabbage a little bit because you'll be adding fluid in the dressing. to avoid the dreaded slaw soup, you need to take som liquid from the cabbage. the carrots too if you can. so, start with the salt.

chop or shred your cabbage, heavily salt it in a colander and let it drain for an hour.

if you are chopping the cabbage and leaving it in longer pieces, you'll rinse it, FAST, then drain it on paper towels. if it is shredded, you'll drain it in a colander, then squeeze excess liquid from it without rinsing. the salt will have mostly washed away with the liquid drainage.

next, decide what you want in your slaw. cabbage, carrots, what else do you like? make those decisions and add the extras. after that, it's about the Mayo dressing. there are a myriad of dressing recipes out there but their success or failure come down to how good the mayo is. it is worthwhile to learn to make a quick Mayo. not too hard to do, really. Mustard powder (and here you can really add some flavor) or, you can take an extra step and make some AMAZING home made mustard. which is again, very easy to do. some mustard seeds, a mortar, some flavorful liquid and some good vinegar and you have mustard. Mayo, oil, mustard, egg, salt.

now, I like making mayonnaise with the oil from my BBQ cook. I like making all SORTS of things with the drain, drip, oil anything from my cook. the reason for that is, you never have to worry about spice palette. If you are using the same stuff, all the way through, you are carrying the same spices with the same amount of smoke, through the whole thing. now, you want to make certain you have contrast, but that's what the other parts of the meal are for. and, making mayonnaise with your drip oil also makes for KILLER sandwiches the next day.

but, back to the slaw. the two main things, Drain some water from your cabbage, and use quality mayo and quality mustard in your dressing. really, in everything you cook, the quality of your ingredients and the technique used determines the outcome. everything else is ingredient lists.

Comment

My Mother always made brownies for us to take to school bake fairs. (Back when you were allowed to do that) Every year one of my friends mother would ask for the recipe. My mom would print on a nice card "1 Box Finest Brand brownie mix. 1 Cup raisins. Follow directions on box." No one would believe it. Thought she was hiding her "secret" recipe. Stick with it @Meatyorology

Comment

The recipe in Cheryl and Bill Jamison's Smoke & Spice has served me well
            1 cup 1/2n1/2 1/5 cup sugar 6T cider vinegar 2T mayo 2 garlic cloves minced 1t salt or more to taste
            mix the dressing pour over cabbage I like a mix of green and purple with grated carrot

Comment

Meatheads slaws on the free side are very good. I make the creamy slaw a lot. Of course I think mayo is a food group too.

Comment

Boy, talk about living on the edge. How did you manage this long?
                Does anybody really give a rip about slaw, I mean really?!!

Comment

• bardsleyque
                  bardsleyque commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Heh, heh, heh! 😎

• smokenoob
                  smokenoob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  long winter?

To the Pit of Misery!!

lol, thats all I make. I buy the broccoli slaw kit too.

Comment

Also if you are grating carrots you can wring them out by twisting in cheesecloth to get rid of more moisture. You want to replace as much water with anything you want for the dressing part.

Also so follow the salt purge directions already given for the cabbage.

Making your own mayo heavy on the garlic helps as well. As long as you use fresh eggs and you have a stick blender it takes about 5 minutes to make mayo including prep time (watch the video).

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ayonnaise.html

Comment

• Swoff1
                    Swoff1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello that brisket looks amazing. What is your technique

Greg

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you are referring to the straight smoked one it’s just 12 hours smoke at 225, wrap to finish for maybe 4 hours to 200F+ ish, and cambro hold for 3-4 hours.

I hate coleslaw.

Comment

We probably make a half dozen different recipes and have used the bag stuff and fresh shredded a head of cabbage. The recipe tastes the same but the fresh shredded cabbage is more moist and has better flavor.

Comment

Haha I made the easiest slaw ever on Sunday, and even ate it again today. Bag of preshredded 4 color cabbage from Walmart, and I dumped Blues Hog Tennessee Red over it, and tossed it. It was on the spicy side of things, but that is the way I like it. In the past I would make my own NC vinegar style sauce to use on the slaw and pork, but like the Blues Hog Red sauce a lot.

Consider yourself forgiven! And you still technically MADE that slaw. It didn't make itself, and it started as a number of different ingredients....

Comment

Karon Adams has it right, when it come to salting and draining but here is my grandma recipe 1 head of green and purple cabbage , 1 carrot 1 small onion all shredded. of course she did not measure the dressing>>> duke's mayo, sour cream dried mustard,regular sugar salt & pepper, apple cider vinegar or white vinegar. it was good to me and always looked forward to 4th of july on the farm.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here