Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegetables, Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegetables, Inc.

I've been taking cooking seriously for a long time now, but the truth of the matter is that I have focused primarily on main dishes consisting of meat. After that I'd saying eggs and baking have been given a lot of practice. This is all well and good, but... vegetables are sort of an important thing. Not only that, but I'm really not a fan in general, at least in terms of everyday veggies.

Does anyone know of a good vegetable resource so my sides aren't so... boring? (Other than slaw. Slaw is easy and delicious, especially since I ditched the salt brine step because it turns something I can whip in 10 minutes into a project.) I feel like I have a pretty good idea about how to make meat work at a basic enough level to where I know what temperatures, techniques, etc. just work.

With veggies, if they're not part of a soup or slaw (or even some killer pressure cooked greens that, in all honesty, are totally carried by the ham hock and not the leaves) it's usually just a quick sauté which makes them little more than an after though. I could improve my diet in general and maybe get my kids to do something other than turn up their noses if I had a larger, more interesting box of tricks.

PS: I detest chopping veggies. I'm likely going to have to get over that.

Roasting on a grill is my killer method. I don't have it perfected yet, but things like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, zucchini, other squashes, green beans, and corn all have another layer of flavor added at roasting temperatures.

I also steam team green beans and then sauté quickly, but I haven't tried that with other veggies.

Comment

Vegtables: The more you eat them the better they taste and soon you won't want a meal without them.

I roast many things in the oven at 400 degrees with a little basting oil, salt, and black pepper.

How about Ratatouille? There's no chopping or slicing.

Cut each veggie below in 1/2" slices except eggplant cut closer to 1". Thicker slices won't shrivel up and burn.

After slicing/chopping place all veggies in large bowl and
      lightly Coat with basting oil and Salt/pepper to taste. Basting oil works best here because it adds garlic and herbs to the flavor.

Place them all on a roasting pan or two in a SINGLE layer and roast at 400 degrees for approximately 30 - 40 minutes. You want things to be soft in the middle but not burned. Maybe a little browning on top and shrivling on sides.

Remove them from the oven and stir them into your favorite heated marinara sauce. Serve over long grain brown rice or maybe noodles for your kids.

eggplant - 1, one inch slices
      zucchini - 1 on smaller side or less if bigger, half inch slices
      yellow squash - same amount as zucchini
      Petite Baby Bella Mushrooms - 1 container, don't do anything to them. Keep 'em whole.
      Red onion - 1/2 Chopped into big pieces
      Green Pepper - 1 Chopped into big pieces
      Red Pepper - 1 Chopped into big pieces

Look at all the veggie goodness in this. You're giving the kids great nutrition if they like it. I keep plenty of parmesean cheese handy if some need it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here