Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have a good recipe for Hatch chili peppers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a good recipe for Hatch chili peppers?

These showed up in my local grocery and look to have potential. Any advice appreciated. TIA.

I think we have a pretty strong Arizona contingent where they even have a Hatch festival, if my memory serves me - Willy is the go-to on this.

Comment

Being a hatch pepper is really a wide variety i would dry them and make a chili powder, dry then reconstitute and use as a base for a sauce like a diablo style, toasting them before you reconstitute them gives them a much bigger kick on the flavor

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        You could infuse them into some evo,butter spead,mild pepper jam
        Last edited by customtrim; August 16, 2017, 06:20 AM.

I roasted Hatch peppers, skinned them, vacuum sealed and froze. Last month, I made a white chicken chili with those frozen peppers. Chunked chicken tenders sautéed with chopped onion and celery, add a couple of blocks of cream cheese, water and the Hatch chiles. Cook it down and season with salt and pepper. Serve over rice with lots of shredded Monterey Jack cheese on top. Took 2nd place!

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        That is awesome, thanks! Our annual neighborhood chili cook-off happens the last weekend of October. This just might give me the edge I need!

What Candy Sue said--roast 'em, skin 'em, peel 'em and freeze 'em. "Hatch" is a somewhat meaningless term as the chiles come in all different kinds and heat levels. Hatch just happens to have a good climate for growing a number of cultivars, most of which are simply long green chiles (they turn red if left on the plant) often called New Mexico or Anaheim. Cultivars include Big Jim, NuMex 6-4, Sandia, Barkers, and others. Alas, the cultivar is often unspecified in grocery stores.

Green chile stew (Google some recipes) is a great use--I like mine with cubed pork, tomatoes, and onions--no taters. Eat the stew out of a bowl or make burros or heuvos rancheros with it. Probably the best thing to do is buy a book ("The Whole Chile Pepper Book" by DeWitt and "The Complete Chile Pepper Book" by DeWitt and Bosland are good choices) or just Google a lot of green chile recipes and make what sounds interesting to you. Be sure whatever you do you check the heat of your chiles and add to the stew accordingly so as not to burn the more delicate eaters.

A rough recipe: 8-12 roasted chopped chiles, 1 large chopped onion, 1 16-oz can diced tomatoes, garlic, cumin, 1.5--2 pounds diced (say, one-inch cubes) pork, 4 cups chicken broth. Brown the onion and pork and then combine everything in a pot and simmer for hours, watching the liquid level.

And, it's chilE, not chilI!!!! Read about chiles and get hooked!

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Willy. I grow Anaheim and New Mexico chiles in the backyard. I remembered you writing about the Hatch Chile. I did not know that they were similar to the others in heat profile. If I see some next year I may plant a couple. It has been an abysmal growing season here - no idea why.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 Just to be certain I was clear enough--you won't find a cultivar called "Hatch". Hatch (Mesilla valley, really) grows the same chiles that are grown everywhere. Check out these seeds providers: https://chile.nmsu.edu/ and http://www.chileplants.com/ , tho any seed catalog will be OK.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        We grow the big Jim, very versatile

Willy. You are dead on with explanation and recipe (in New Mexico the best chiles are grown is the Mesilla Valley)! The mild chiles are not far from green bell peppers and not in the spirit of Hatch chiles and I recommend climbing the Scolville Units scale to 10,000 to 20,000 to get the real kick. Oh, how I miss having green chiles on everything!

Comment

A good ol green Chile cheese burger should be on the list to make. Have the Chile ready to go (either chopped or whole) and add right before the cheese so it melts over.

A good green chile cheese burger is hard to beat. So much, it’s one of the top items featured on tv when culinary hosts visit New Mexico.

Also, we locals really add green Chile to anything it’s so good 😁 an omelette, could add to grilled flank steak for tacos, or stuff chunks of mozzarella in whole chiles, dip in a batter and fry them up for chile rellenos.

The options are endless!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th' Pit!
          Thanks fer sharin' some green chile faves with us!

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Mr. Bones!

Either green chili burgers, or green chili casserole

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here