Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salsa

Since being married to a Mexican I never buy salsa at stores. In fact the very simple family recipe really opened my eyes. It has it's flaws for consistency but here I will lay some general guild lines and you can go from there. I found the simple recipe yielded a tomato forward spicy flavor that goes a long way on most anything.

Original recipe
    6- tomatoes on the vine (in Mexico they use regular stuff but they get better tomatoes at the grocery store)
    3- Serrano peppers
    Optional - 4 - chile de arbol (if you can find them) these peppers are like little small balls.
    Salt and lime to taste usually good amount of salt and about 1 lime.

My Recipe
    6 - tomatoes
    1 - jalapeno
    1 - serrano
    3 - Chipotle peppers in adobo
    About a teaspoon of liquid smoke, Lime and salt to taste

I know tomatoes vary in size. Peppers vary in heat and size too.

Blend the tomatoes first and add 1 pepper at a time keep in mind after cooking it the salsa will get a little hotter. You can add more tomatoes to tone down the heat. After you have the mix keep it in the blender while you heat up about 1 tbs of oil in a pan with a ring or two of onion and wait to the onion is just soft on medium heat (little sizzle). Now add the mix to the pan and cook till the mixture turns a darker red ( My recipe will be even darker because the smoke flavor). At this point salt and add lime to taste.

For those who really like it hot.
    5 - jalapeno or serrano peppers mix if you want.
    4 tbs cooking oil.
    2 cloves of crushed garlic

Cut the stems off the top then put the peppers in boiling water till soft. Then put in the blender with oil with crushed garlic. Blend till smooth. Ready to serve.

Tips:
    Buy tomatoes when in season and jar a big batch for later

Buy from a farmer market that has tomatoes from a farm. Our farmers market sometimes has supermarket stuff they say is local.

Off season go with already canned tomatoes, sorry I do not have a recommended brand as I can seasonal tomatoes.

Add it to everything. When I first went to Mexico I noticed they would put salsa on a rib eye or just about everything. I tried it and it is great. In fact in Mexico the chips and salsa is really not that common at least in the north. Of course put it on tacos.

Thanx for the recipe. I make salsa from my home grown tomatoes, but I've never cooked it.

Comment

The best tacos I've ever eaten in my 65 years were Street tacos in Tijuana, Mexico.👅👅👅. My front door was 7 miles from the Tijuana border when I was in high school. We used to go to Tijuana all the time when I was a kid. Our favorite place to hang out was a place called The Long Bar. Do not, I repeat, Do Not ask what went on at the Long Bar.😎😎😎

We always bought street tacos coming into the city and again going home from the city...👅 And we never got food poisoning but we didn't EVER drink the water!

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        What happens at the Long Bar, stays at the Long Bar

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank goodness...😎

Thanks BriggsBBQ, this is great! I'd love to try this, can't beat authenticity. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here